TPMS

Linh

Hi

I m from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I just get my first brand new car - Corolla S 2009.

I started to look for Winter tires since the new law oblige us to have it on winter.

They told me that i need to put something call TPMS on the tires ifnot the light is going to lit up all winter.

Is that useful or not..? (it s 416$CAN without the RIMs and the tires) .O_O.

thanx a lot

TPMS = tire pressure monitoring system. It's not a necessary thing, it's just nice to know when you have a slightly low tire. If you can suffer with the low tire pressure light on all winter, it's not a big deal. The only way you should need a new system is if you are also getting new wheels with your winter tires.

hi

thanx for your reply

but can you explain to me how it works? I m kinda lost with that thing. Is it something that comes with the tires? Can i used it again with others tires?

What happened if hte light lit up all winter??

thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Your owner's manual should tell you what to do about the TPMS if you are going to install winter tires. Some replacement tires will make the system malfunction. Chains will do the same. The transmitters are ID programmed to the car's computer so different wheels and tires can cause the system to fail. Check with the installer to see if they have had experience with TPMS and get their recommendation. I guess it all depends whether you want to pay the price or look at a warning light until your regular tires go back on in the spring.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I m from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I just get my first brand new car - Corolla S 2009.

I started to look for Winter tires since the new law oblige us to have it on winter.

They told me that i need to put something call TPMS on the tires ifnot the light is going to lit up all winter.

thanx a lot

Hi

thanx a lot

Linh, or anyone out there. I have a 2011 Sienna with TPMS, now required by law in USA. Each wheel has a transmitter that regularly sends pressure to car computer - if pressure is under some % of pressure in tire when the system is reset, the TPMS light comes on. I got a set of snow tires on new wheels and got them with the appropriate TPMS transmitters in them ($152+/- extra) and then discovered when I fitted them that they were not recognised, and that a Toyota dealer must (they have the only electronic means to do this) enter the new ID codes into the car computer. My dealer wanted $164 to do this.

BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE. When they enter the ID of the new TPMS transmitters, it erazes the originals - it cannot hold 2 sets - so that every time you switch wheels you have to go back to the Toyota Dealer and get robbed. I have confirmed this from Toyota!!!

You might consider, if you were happy looking after the tire pressures before TPMS, not getting the transmitters in your winter set, and just get used to the TPMS light being on all the winter, otherwise you will spend a fortune in time and money going back and forth to a dealer to get the IDs changed. This is a really Dumb system - even my wifes 2003 Mercedes which has TPMS can mange 2 sets of wheels, and it can even figure out which ones on the car without any intervention or trip to the dealer