New Rav4 Owner

denzt4r

Hello everyone. My friend just got a brand new 08 Rav4, 2wd 4cyl Pacific Blue. He doesnt have that much to post online so I'm doing it for him hehe. Anyways few questions you guys.

First off, we noticed that the immobilizer isn't flashing at all, at any time. We're gonna go in to have that checked but do you guys know why that is happening? Secondly, if there suppose to be a "security" label on top of the left knob where the light should be located? This is a basic Rav4 model.

Secondly has anyone tried to activate the DRLs? I know for the Sienna, they only have to add a fuse and the DRLs will work. Now I'm just trying to use common sense, and since the Rav4's DRLs are a low intensity light on the bright lamps, I was wondering if it's just a fuse just like the Sienna since the Sienna also uses a low intensity light on their bright lamps.

Thirdly, how much do fog lamps cost? I know that's something I can search up but I havent had the time so if anyone's had them installed, please advice a ball park figure of how much it will cost me to buy them and have the dealer install them (2 hours job? 3 hours?)

Lastly, is there a Toyota VIP alarm system available for the Rav4? I'm pretty sure since I had to buy that system for my 4Runner when I got her back in 06.

Thanks in advance and sorry about asking so many question. :P

Do you definitely have the immobilizer? The light won't flash unless the car is locked and the alarm system is activated, but you indicated you don't have an alarm?

Yes, Toyota offers an alarm for your car.

Fog lights...a few hundred bucks for Toyota ones, I would guess. If you don't care how they look, you could get some aftermarket ones for under $100.

• 1 year later...

Before opting for fog lights, if your RAV4 is engineered as they are on my prius, they automatically turn on the headlights at the same time and cannot be run on their own. As a result you still get all the bounceback from your headlights in heavy fog/snow, resulting in continued poor visibility and making the fog lights relatively useless. Unless they can be run w/o the headlights off, I'm not sure they will do you much good.

On the other hand, if you are simply one of those goofy people who want to run with all possible lighting even in the daytime bec you think it looks cool or wahtever, go for them, I guess, as this problem wont matter to you.

If you wire in your own aftermarket lights, you'll have to take care not to run them w/o running your parking lighs concurrently (so you have taillights).