Low Tire Monitor

oldnslo

Hi all,

08 Camry SE. Can the tire monitor system be reset without going to the dealer? On our car it blinked for a couple miles this morning and then stayed on. Manual says this indicates a problem in the system and not a low tire issue.

Can this system be deactivated (unhooked) with out causing other faults or problems? Been driving 40 years and I am smart enough to know when a tire is soft and if I ain't smart enough I shouldn't be driving!!!

TIA

Roy

You probably don't have a system problem. You probably had a slight cold snap last night, just enough to lose a little pressure in the tires, and by the time they warmed up, the issue was gone. That being said, one of your tires is a couple pounds light.

Check your tires, and if the light is still on, then look on the lower part of the dash, probably under the steering wheel on one side or the other for a reset button. I'm not sure exactly where it is on your car, but that's the usual place on most Toyota/Lexus.

You probably don't have a system problem. You probably had a slight cold snap last night, just enough to lose a little pressure in the tires, and by the time they warmed up, the issue was gone. That being said, one of your tires is a couple pounds light.

Check your tires, and if the light is still on, then look on the lower part of the dash, probably under the steering wheel on one side or the other for a reset button. I'm not sure exactly where it is on your car, but that's the usual place on most Toyota/Lexus.

Thanks Leighcm,

light stayed on after driving 20 miles. I shut the car off and restarted light still stayed on. Checked tire presure last week when I did an oil change. doesn't mean didn't loose a couple PSI.

Any idea what the trip pressure is on this system?

Roy

Low Tire Indicator update:

Checked all of my tires and they where all at or above recommended pressures. I even increased the pressure to 38 - 40 PSI as a test to see if the Idiot light would go out. No Luck. It blinks for approximately one minute and then stays on solid. I am going to tyr and attach a page from the owners manual as a reference.

Roy

Tire_Indicator.pdf

hmm does it mention anywhere about a reset button in the manual? The only other place i'v seen toyota put a reset button beside the places listed above was in the glove box, when you open it, it might be on the side, at least thats where it is on my brother's scion tC. If thats not the case i'd suggest mentioning it at your next oil change since your car is a 08 and is still under warranty it wouldn't hurt.

I looked under the dash for the reset with no luck. Being old, fat and blind doesn't help with this either....

Will look in glove box this weekend. Called the dealer and response was "Bring it by you may have something wrong".

I do all my own service and hate taking a vehicle to a dealer. My experience is that they seem to create more problems than they cure. NOTE: Have never taken a Toyota to dealer yet.

thanks for the replies

black electrical tape over the light cures all :rolleyes:

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got another chance to look for the reset button with no luck.

Does any know for sure where or if an 08 Camry has a owner accessible reset button.

I have looked under the dash, in the glove box, in the compartment between the dash and glove box with no luck.

TIA

Roy

After researching a little (and trying and failing to find the 2008 Camry that's usually parked outside), I think the reset button is in the glovebox (or just outside it on the edge of the opening). I think it's a black button that blends in with the interior of the glovebox so it's hard to see.

Leighcm,

you are correct. It is located in a recess at the bottom left corner of the glove box door. It is actually part of the dash that is covered by the glove box door.

Problem is it still doesn't reset:

What I was told the reset procedure is: Start the car, press the reset for approximately two seconds. The light should go out, the press the reset button again until the light flashes three times. On mine the light never goes out so I suspect one of the sensors has gone to heck already. Not to impressive, 12 months 13,000 miles.

Roy