1985 MR-2 Project Requires Your Assistance

ApollosWorld

Greetings everyone. My name is ApollosWorld.

I joined this forum for a very specific purpose and I hope this thread will help others while it continues.

About 14 years ago, I purchased a 1985 MR-2 with moon roof.

I purchased it for about $3,000.00 and I only drove it for about 2 years. The reason being is that I had to replace the clutch twice and

then had a life changing event that basically sent me on another path for quite a while. So instead of fixing it AGAIN, I forgot about it

because I was tired of putting money into it all the time.

I left the MR-2 in my moms drive-way for the last 12years. Never starting it, never even opening the doors.

Well after 12 years of just sitting there, my mom gets a notice from the county where they tell us to move it or lose it. I decide to have

it towed to my house and start the restoration process.

Now let me tell you....After 12 years of just sitting there, I open the hood and just all kinds of bugs,cobwebs, rust and corrosion has done

a lot of damage.

So NOW I'm on a mission. I want to restore it little by little one part at a time. Once it is fully functional, I will give it to my son.

Now here is where I hope the community can help me with:

I will begin logging what parts and progress I am making and update you with pictures. I am already running into issues whereas I see

parts I don't know what they are for, or even necessary for that matter.

My following post after this intro will give you an example of what I'm talking about. I would like to thank everyone and anyone in advance

for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Apollo!

Now don't laugh too hard. I know it's gonna be a lllllllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg journey!

Here is what the MR-2 looks like. Sorry, I should have taken the pictures before putting it in the garage. The boat takes up too much

room to get a better shot.

56ff08765e1a42318dfb73d7cbe96.jpg

As you can see, I just started working on it. Those are my tools on the back and then I had to come to my office to start this thread because

I'm running into issues.

c811a82c4ca2652ee4a9e24cddad0.jpg

This quarter panel was at one time replaced or repaired before I got it. :unsure:

82d47c59969010902702a9be01249.jpg

Looks like a critter got in and chewed up the seat.

:angry:

3c7a4de8e6ef287f3ea8c0ac4675e.jpg

81747dc4240af85ae423d45a0bda3.jpg

I'm gonna have to give this engine a MAJOR cleaning and de-greasing. I just removed the intake so I could install new battery wire teminals.

The intake and air filter housing were in the way.

096e7ad68daa95a610ef142a5c6ff.jpg

Here is an example of the corrosion I have to address on the way for this project. :blink:

9ff2504cadbc9584eefbfb9dc826e.jpg

Here is where I need your help. I see this part but do not know what it's for or called. On the side it has a Toyota Sticker on it. There are two serial numbers

that I tried to google with no results. There two numbers are 89570-16080 and 084600-1840. There is also a power rating on the side that says 12v.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

068bcf517469ec5ca939599292f2d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Brand new AW11 parts are running out, real fast. It is all but impossible to restore a Mk I. Best you'll ever do is a 65 to 70% car. I've spent well over 20 thousand on mine, and mine isn't close to perfect.

Sure looks good, though. Cleanest as a whistle, my Supercharged AW11 turns heads. Dumb girls always coming up to me, "... Wow mister, I really like yer car!"

Flat black OEM replacement trim pieces around the pillars cost me about a thousand bux. I keep extra sets, because I'm always replacing them, because Toyota dealership lube techs keep screwing them up whensoever they do my oil changes. Just last week, local Toyota dealership were forced to buy me a brand new right-side rear trim piece... flat-black one near the engine bay. About 190 bux.

A lot of yelling at those people at Toyota... Special notation I made them put into the computer, that pops up an advisory whensoever my Supercharged MR2 is serviced (e.g., all caps no less): "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE IS THIS CAR TO BE PARKED IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT."

I find out my car's been parked in direct sunlight, there is going to be hell to pay.

Just this week, I believe I got the last trim piece for the pop up headlights (e.g., the flat black plastic insert that becomes visable, only when the pop-up headlights pop-up). Cost me 120 bux, just for that. They found the right side in Atlanta. Left side is no longer available.

New grill just came in this week. I think I got the last one in existence. They found it in a Toyota warehouse in Cincinnati.

Cost me 60 bux, just for a new coolant overflow reservoir, and 60 bux for the special OEM rubber sock which insulates the distributor.

Been looking for an OEM leather steering wheel for my '88. It's got to be blue. Last one I priced, from the dealership 12 years ago, was a cool US$1200.00. Wished I'd ponied up for it. Not for the life of me can I find one.

It's a hard road to hoe; nothing but heartache doing an AW11. Best of luck to you. I really mean that.

Regards,

~ Sammy, '88 Supercharged

Wow...any recent pics?

• 3 weeks later...

Now don't laugh too hard. I know it's gonna be a lllllllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg journey!

Here is what the MR-2 looks like. Sorry, I should have taken the pictures before putting it in the garage. The boat takes up too much

room to get a better shot.

56ff08765e1a42318dfb73d7cbe96.jpg

As you can see, I just started working on it. Those are my tools on the back and then I had to come to my office to start this thread because

I'm running into issues.

c811a82c4ca2652ee4a9e24cddad0.jpg

This quarter panel was at one time replaced or repaired before I got it. :unsure:

82d47c59969010902702a9be01249.jpg

Looks like a critter got in and chewed up the seat.

:angry:

3c7a4de8e6ef287f3ea8c0ac4675e.jpg

81747dc4240af85ae423d45a0bda3.jpg

I'm gonna have to give this engine a MAJOR cleaning and de-greasing. I just removed the intake so I could install new battery wire teminals.

The intake and air filter housing were in the way.

096e7ad68daa95a610ef142a5c6ff.jpg

Here is an example of the corrosion I have to address on the way for this project. :blink:

9ff2504cadbc9584eefbfb9dc826e.jpg

Here is where I need your help. I see this part but do not know what it's for or called. On the side it has a Toyota Sticker on it. There are two serial numbers

that I tried to google with no results. There two numbers are 89570-16080 and 084600-1840. There is also a power rating on the side that says 12v.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

068bcf517469ec5ca939599292f2d.jpg

Have you looked on this site? it looks like the VSV valve

http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catalog/...ns/41758393.gif

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

http://opc.mr2oc.com/#engine

• 2 weeks later...