Camry Hybrid

Naz

So, I was just wondering what kind of real world mileage do camry hybrid owners get? i was Interested after a buddy of mine with a 03 civic hybrid said hes MPG has gradually declined and now he only gets 30-35mpg, and i still get 31! even though my car is 10 years old/162k. Seems gradually speeding up/slowing down, keeping my rev's down, and AC off when possible helps a lot with fuel consumption since my car is only rated at 27mpg highway and my AVG is 31. Also I think a few other little things help, shell's V-Power fuel, clean air filter, changing oil/mobil1, denso plugs/wires changed at 100k etc etc.

Right now I avg 500 to, at a stretch of ideal driving 550 miles on 1 tank of 16.2 gallons of premium fuel, usually only have .3 gallons left at the end when i fill up again.

I just purchased a Camry Hybrid a couple of months ago. It is actually used. It is a 2007 with 26k. I have since logged nearly 3k. I only use 87 Octane. I dont bother with premium gas. I have actually seen an increase in my mpg...but i think thats because i am learning to manipulate the throttle to my advantage...sometimes because of the synergy drive it stays at high rpm...so i release the gas to make the car change gears...that makes my real time mpg monitor show higher mpgs....also i use the engine break where i can...The camry has an eco drive that causes your ac to slowly crank up..can suck when its really hot...but i dont see any added strain or loss of mpg when i have it turned on...typically I have combined city and highway driving to get to and from work...with these type of trips i average anywhere from 36 to 39 mpg...i just took it for a 330 mile trip 4th of july weekend. It was mostly highway and the last part of it was lots of hills and mountains....with liberal use of the engine break i averaged 42 to 44 mpg....If i just do city driving i average between 34 and 36 mpg. i have a 17 gallon tank...i can typically go for 530 miles before the fuel light comes on...typically after that i can go up to 35 miles after...i dont push it though. I hope this helps. B)

• 3 weeks later...

oh wow thats really good fuel consumption for a car that size. And also is it quick? i was reading somewhere that the electric motor generates 199 ft-lbs of tq and the 2.4 gas engine makes somewhere in the 130-140 ft-lbs of tq., so combined thats pretty hefty amount of torque :)

• 1 month later...

My 2008 Camry Hybrid had 5000 miles when I purchased it. I have kept a log over the past 2600 miles and the average mpg is 38.5 using 87 octane. This is combined town and interstate driving and not really trying to hypermile it. A/C was on most of the summer. Car is fantastic and no regrets for selling the 2004 VW Passat diesel which was a great car but around town mileage was only in the high 20s using high priced diesel fuel. On the interstate they are terrific, could reach high 30s and occasionally 40. Reaching 40 mpg in the Camry is a lot easier and cost per mile averages out at less than 10 cents even with gas at $3.75 per gal.

Doing mostly highway now, in TX so AC always on. Generally hitting in mid-high 30s. When I do more 'country' driving (I do not live in city) where I can keep the motor off, I get closer to 40. My 'turnover' ... where the gas motor always turns on ... is about 44 mph ... would give anything if that were about 4-5 miles faster (i.e. turnover at >49 mph)

I have not been able to get the gas/electric combo to stay on together with any consistency ... it happens in the 45-55 mph range and although the gas engine is running, the meter indicates the mpg > 50. I try to 'bounce' the accelerator to get both engines to turn on, but once both engines are on, any little twitch in my foot or even a slight incline in the road causes it to kick to gas power mode. I think I could see a dramatic improvement if I could get it to leave that electric motor on.

• 1 month later...
Doing mostly highway now, in TX so AC always on. Generally hitting in mid-high 30s. When I do more 'country' driving (I do not live in city) where I can keep the motor off, I get closer to 40. My 'turnover' ... where the gas motor always turns on ... is about 44 mph ... would give anything if that were about 4-5 miles faster (i.e. turnover at >49 mph)

I have not been able to get the gas/electric combo to stay on together with any consistency ... it happens in the 45-55 mph range and although the gas engine is running, the meter indicates the mpg > 50. I try to 'bounce' the accelerator to get both engines to turn on, but once both engines are on, any little twitch in my foot or even a slight incline in the road causes it to kick to gas power mode. I think I could see a dramatic improvement if I could get it to leave that electric motor on.

I have had a great summer with my 2008 Camry Hybrid in Ontario Canada ..purchased used in May with 20,000Km ..great mileage..With winter arriving I am wondering if the cold weather will impact my mileage? Any experiences that can be shared? Thanks

post-2508-1228653648_thumb.jpgI have owned my 2007 Camry Hybrid for 16 months now and it has been great. When i first bought it new it was averaging around 35-38mpg for the first 5000 miles or so. Since then i have been averaging between 39-43 mpg. Summer mileage is a bit better, as some have stated. I really love the car and plan on keeping it for many years. It is very well designed and has that Toyota quality that i liked from the 1998 4runner i owned for 5 years. It performed flawlessly.

post-2508-1228653648_thumb.jpgI have owned my 2007 Camry Hybrid for 16 months now and it has been great. When i first bought it new it was averaging around 35-38mpg for the first 5000 miles or so. Since then i have been averaging between 39-43 mpg. Summer mileage is a bit better, as some have stated. I really love the car and plan on keeping it for many years. It is very well designed and has that Toyota quality that i liked from the 1998 4runner i owned for 5 years. It performed flawlessly.

Very pretty car...enjoy!

• 2 months later...

Being in Texas, I do not really see much difference any time of year. The only impact of A/C that I have seen is that it will force the synergy drive to kick on the gas motor more often ... so I will turn up the temp or turn off the A/C if it is tolerable (again, this is Texas!).

re: Toyota quality ... I have experienced a rather radical departure from the typical "Toyota Quality" song. My radio/navigation system started giving me problems at slightly (and I mean slightly) over 36000 miles, literally rendering the navigation useless. Neither my dealer nor the regional guy would give any consolation, so the repair would be upwards of $2k. I was livid in that I would expect the extremely high cost system should last more than a couple of years, but apparently Toyota doesn't think so or does not care.

The navigation system is the biggest waste of money, as you get completely out of date disks to start with and the upgrades cost as much as a high end portable system (about $300). To anybody willing to listen, do NOT buy the built in Nav system. Toyota does NOT stand behind this system. If you are dumb enough to pay the extra, at least negotiate yourself free DVD updates for as long as you can as part of the original deal.

Being in Texas, I do not really see much difference any time of year. The only impact of A/C that I have seen is that it will force the synergy drive to kick on the gas motor more often ... so I will turn up the temp or turn off the A/C if it is tolerable (again, this is Texas!).

re: Toyota quality ... I have experienced a rather radical departure from the typical "Toyota Quality" song. My radio/navigation system started giving me problems at slightly (and I mean slightly) over 36000 miles, literally rendering the navigation useless. Neither my dealer nor the regional guy would give any consolation, so the repair would be upwards of $2k. I was livid in that I would expect the extremely high cost system should last more than a couple of years, but apparently Toyota doesn't think so or does not care.

The navigation system is the biggest waste of money, as you get completely out of date disks to start with and the upgrades cost as much as a high end portable system (about $300). To anybody willing to listen, do NOT buy the built in Nav system. Toyota does NOT stand behind this system. If you are dumb enough to pay the extra, at least negotiate yourself free DVD updates for as long as you can as part of the original deal.

Really? I love the factory navigation system in my GS. Didn't like the fact that I couldn't use it while driving, but I hacked the system in my 2007 GS350, and put a switch in the 2008 so I could use it while driving, and it's really pretty nice. Bigger screen, more points of interest, more ways to look stuff up, bluetooth w/phonebook, dayplanner, service reminder screen, touch screen for audio controls & climate, faster than Garmin & others, plus, I get the backup camera when I get navigation. That, and I'll get every penny of that navigation cost back in resale because people are starting to really want navigation. So what if I have to get a new map disc every couple years? Also, I've some experience with aftermarket GPS systems (we've had 10 or 12 of them for the other cars), and find that most of the ones with the nicer features are glitchy and unreliable.

No doubt, if the system works, it might be nice. Mine doesn't. The problem has been getting progressively worse ... radio functions become unusable when nav is engaged, nav suddenly cannot find anything in the city, etc. Early on, I rarely used the nav, so I never noticed the problems; but then started a job which involved DFW-Austin commutes, and I noticed it being flaky. I was just over 36k miles, i.e. warranty.

My biggest complaint is that I have always worked with dealers/manf that believe in good service ... I have never had a dealer / manufacturer screw me the way Toyota has. If we were talking about a 'wear-n-tear' item, I would not complain, but this is the steenkeen radio! It is not like they can say that I did something to it!

What really irks me is that it makes no sense at all, if Toyota went to the radio manf and said they need to replace this piece of garbage, they would literally do it without a sniff. Instead, they are trying to soak me for $2k+, which I absolutely refuse to pay.

We just shopped for a new car, Toyota was not even on the list. Nor will they ever be.

Regardless ... the Bluetooth is flaky at best, on several different phones the outgoing sound made it impossible to have a conversation. The nav disks are out of date when punched ... the '2007' disk was missing roads in DFW that were 3+ years old (George Bush toll road, et al) at the time, and update disks (which are still out of date) are priced about the same as a very good portable system.

I believe you are mistaken on 'holds value' ... the information I have received on various forums indicates that the nav systems do not have any value exactly because the DVDs are so expensive and out of date. I have not bothered to check what Edmunds reports.

No doubt, if the system works, it might be nice. Mine doesn't. The problem has been getting progressively worse ... radio functions become unusable when nav is engaged, nav suddenly cannot find anything in the city, etc. Early on, I rarely used the nav, so I never noticed the problems; but then started a job which involved DFW-Austin commutes, and I noticed it being flaky. I was just over 36k miles, i.e. warranty.

My biggest complaint is that I have always worked with dealers/manf that believe in good service ... I have never had a dealer / manufacturer screw me the way Toyota has. If we were talking about a 'wear-n-tear' item, I would not complain, but this is the steenkeen radio! It is not like they can say that I did something to it!

What really irks me is that it makes no sense at all, if Toyota went to the radio manf and said they need to replace this piece of garbage, they would literally do it without a sniff. Instead, they are trying to soak me for $2k+, which I absolutely refuse to pay.

We just shopped for a new car, Toyota was not even on the list. Nor will they ever be.

Regardless ... the Bluetooth is flaky at best, on several different phones the outgoing sound made it impossible to have a conversation. The nav disks are out of date when punched ... the '2007' disk was missing roads in DFW that were 3+ years old (George Bush toll road, et al) at the time, and update disks (which are still out of date) are priced about the same as a very good portable system.

I believe you are mistaken on 'holds value' ... the information I have received on various forums indicates that the nav systems do not have any value exactly because the DVDs are so expensive and out of date. I have not bothered to check what Edmunds reports.

It definitely adds value...not only book value, but marketability. Did you try to call the corporate office yet? If you have maintained a continuous good service history with a Toyota dealership, they may be willing to goodwill something, especially if you ask nicely.