2006 Starting Problem

CinciRAV

Hello,

I have a 2006 RAV4 experiencing intermittent starting problems. About once per week for the past 3 months the vehicle won't start. Turn the key, lights come on but then nothing. I sometimes hear 1 click, but wife says she hears nothing. We can try a few times and sometimes on the 3rd or 4th or maybe 10th attempt, it will start. My wife thought she noticed a correlation to the brake pedal pressue, ie. when it was soft the car wouldn't start, but if it felt hard, it would. I've since disproved that theory since a few times I'd press on the brake pedal first and pressure would build up, but the car wouldn't start either.

We brought it to the dealer who can't replicate the issue, so they won't do anything.

A previous car I had experienced a similar problem before I had the starter replaced, which eliminated the problem.

The car is still under warranty and the dealer won't do anything since they can't reproduce it.

Anyone know of this problem or have any suggestions?

I'm thinking it won't get solved til something actually fails and we're stuck somewhere.

Thanks.

Could easily be the starter. Could also be the alarm system if you have one...most of the Toyota alarms have a engine kill switch in them that could have an issue.

agreed, as well as aftermarket alarm systems also use the starter kill that could triggered for no reason at all.

My mother has a 1997 RAV 4, it came with an alarm system that would sometimes not allow the vehicle to start.

We ended up removing the alarm system completely.