New tires or rims?

Naz

So a few weeks ago, a buddy of mine threw out a set of almost brand new tires from his car since he purchased a new set of rims that were a differnt size. So he let me have the tires so the set that i currently have on passed inspection but pass the quarter test JUST barely so i'll be in the market for a new set pretty soon at my current pace along with winter coming. So I was thinking maybe i'll just buy some decent alloys that fit the tires that my friend gave me.

My car right now has 14" stock steel wheels/hub caps, the tires my friend gave me are 17" tires. Now when I measure, the diameter of the entire wheel is very close about an half inch difference if that. The Width is also about a quarter inch wider then my stock tires.

So any advice as to what would need to be done to fit 17" wheels onto my car? I've seen people on cardomain with 19" on my gen camry that fit in the wheel well no problem, but I was wondering could 17" be too big for the front wheels to turn all the way without some sort of modification?

I could use some new shocks, i still have my stock ones after 162k and they do tend to make some noice when going over big bumps and in the winter their horrendously loud. Guess thats what philadephia pot poles can do to a car ;)

This could be very tricky. You need to make sure you end up with the same offset, the same bolt pattern, the same overall dimensions, and of course, make sure it doesn't rub. If you have 14" wheels now, 17" wheels may be slightly pushing your luck.

Upsize calculator:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/b...nfoTireMath.jsp

Another calculator to see what different tire sizes will do to your speedometer:

http://www.kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/tiresizecalc.htm

Naz,

which costs more... new tires or new rims?

ofcourse the rims cost more. u will probably be ok.. in fact when u go to a shop to buy rims they will let u know if its a good idea or not. usually they do say dont go over 3" because it may mess with the ABS system, (which it does anyways, believe me, i work on cars, i am a mechanic) your rpm readings won't be right and in snow it MAY give you some trouble..

usually they give u an adapter that fits you hub to the rim..

hope this helps.

lakshay

hmm, think i'll have to pay a visit to a tire shop and see what they say. The optional alloys on my car were 15" so maybe 17" wouldn't be too difficult. Aren't the settings for ABS, odometer, and the revolution distance easily changed by a dealer or expirenced tire shop? Well the price for geting new alloys is of course more then getting another set of tires but at least it'll be a good $200 some dollars cheaper because of the free tires, each tire actually costs $80 new so I'm saving a decent penny.

17" shouldn't be too bad. Just keep the overall diameter the same. The settings for ABS, odo, etc. aren't easily changed...they're all set up to work with a certain tire/wheel diameter.

agreed. keep the offset and overall diameter the same and you should have no issues with the odometer as well.

Rubbing would occur if in most cases you lowered the vehicle or have way out of spec diameter tires.

I think it should fit, but i'll use the calculator that leighcm linked above to find out exactly what the differences are between my stock and the aftermarket. but if not, I was thinking of just selling those tires and using the money to buy either smaller rims and tires or the stock 15" alloys, but i'll see when the time comes, keep ya posted.

I used the calculator mentioned above and here were the results

195/70R-14 to 225/40R-18 (seems I was mistaken with the tires being 17" hehe)

Sidewall height difference : -1.83

Section Width Difference :1.18

Overall diameter difference : 0.34

Circumference difference : 1.06

Rev's per mile: -11

Speedo reads 65MPH it would really be 65.89

So with those results, what measures would I have to take to ensure my odo registers fine and my tires dont rub when I turn my wheel until it locks?

think i will! :) Just need to find a set of wheels that compliment my car nicely and make it look sleek and fresh not too tacky or overdone. Any suggestions? my price range is pretty conservative but i'm willing to dish out a significant amount of money for a good product.

A nice spoked wheel is always classic and will look good for a long time. In the lower priced rims, ADR and Konig are decent wheels. Keep in mind that brushed metal or painted wheels can be repaired if damaged; chromes can't be repaired.

YES you read my mind lol i'm 100% sure i'm going with brushed or painted, just havent decided which yet but i think i'm going to just go through and just find rims that are available in my size from a few brands i like and are in my price range and go from there

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So i just purchased the new wheels they should be here in about a week! Here's a pic.

http://socalsales.us/images/static/DSC_0652.JPG

However i had 1 question, anyone know what kind of PSI i should be running? right now my stock tires the sticker on the door says 30psi. My camry is a 1998 I4 stock everything. 3000lbs to 4000lbs gross weight i believe? tires and wheels are as mentioned above 225R40/18.

So I was looking into wheel locks or Tuner lugs for my car, I dont really know much about what exactly Tuner lugs are, I know what wheel locks are and right now i'm looking around to find a set of tunerlugs/wheel locks for my wheels. Any suggestions? my wheels come in tomorrow and i'll have them put on next week. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

before

http://www.triplebautomotive.org/assets/im...ota_Camry_1.JPG

After

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-...257983_3074.jpg

http://photos.l3.facebook.com/photos-l3-sn...4269642_518.jpg

Rims look and drive greatt :) actually a lot better then my old stock wheels. Smooth and planted, stops a lot quicker too and the steering has much more response now. Thanks for all your help!

• 5 months later...

wondering if anyone knew about hubcentric spacers for my car? I've been driving without them for a while without much issue but a recent trip to the shop the mechanic let me know that they would make it a drive much better and be smoother. thnx!