Gas Odour

yomper

1999 Avalon runs fine on Hwy but when at stop sign or at lights a smell of gasoline enters the car if outside air is on.Have been using reg gas for some 9 months plus a bottle of octane booster occasionally for a MPG of 32.85 HWY. Have checked for fuel leaks but none found any thoughts out there?

Thanks and happy motoring.

1999 Avalon runs fine on Hwy but when at stop sign or at lights a smell of gasoline enters the car if outside air is on.Have been using reg gas for some 9 months plus a bottle of octane booster occasionally for a MPG of 32.85 HWY. Have checked for fuel leaks but none found any thoughts out there?

Thanks and happy motoring.

Perhaps a mildly leaky injector?

or perhaps a bad head gasket?

Octane Booster only raise your octane a few points.

You would get 87.4 octane instead of 87 - which is negligible.

save the few dollars and drive smoothly/conservatively for better mileage. ;)

Yeah, octane booster is a scam. Yes, it helps a little, but the with the price you pay for it, you may as well step up and buy the next grade of fuel. Or just forget about the whole thing and drive with the regular gas. I think if you check your owners manual, it will say something like "use regular fuel; for improved performance use premium".

Hmmm...bad head gasket...maybe. Is it running warmer than usual? Does it run cool on the expressway and then heat up in town?

Thanks for your time,Temp is normal all the time I am beginning to suspect the EVAP system

Yeah, octane booster is a scam. Yes, it helps a little, but the with the price you pay for it, you may as well step up and buy the next grade of fuel. Or just forget about the whole thing and drive with the regular gas. I think if you check your owners manual, it will say something like "use regular fuel; for improved performance use premium".

Thanks for your time

I used premium since I got the car and got mpg of 32.85 Hwy but due to the price rise i switched to regular and used the Booster from Dollartree for $1 a bottle and now get the same 32.8 mpg

Hmmm...bad head gasket...maybe. Is it running warmer than usual? Does it run cool on the expressway and then heat up in town?

Found the problem it was a hose [pushon type] that had been pulled free when the air filter was changed

Happy Motoring. :lol: