Toyota HiAce to Africa

Hi all,

I want to take a van to Africa and since Toyota HiAce are virtually everywhere over there and HiAce appears to be quite sturdy and relatively easy to repair this seems to be the perfect choice.

The next question is now, which of the many models to choose.

Of course I would like as much space as possible. I have read elsewhere that there are long-wheelbase and super-long-wheelbase models. Does anyone have infos about the different sizes?

I believe, looking at my financial capabilities, that a van about 10 (DoM roundabout 1998) years old would be a good compromise between ecconomy and quality. What do you think?

Since there are a number of different engine sizes I would also be grateful for comments about the pros and cons of the various engines available. Since I want to convert the van to vegetable oil a diesel engine is essential.

Of course I also welcome any other suggestions regarding my project.

Looking forward to reading from you, Fred

Unfortunately, we do not have the Hiace in the US, so our knowledge is very limited on this model. I've seen it in Europe and Asia, but it's never been sold here. We have the Sienna (a small front wheel drive V6 van based on the Camry), and we used to have the Previa (larger, supercharged 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, but still not as large as the Hiace).

If you were to import a van into Africa, it may get a little pricey. Shipping will take a long time, and could easily be a few thousand dollars. Depending on which country you're taking the vehicle to, there could be expensive import taxes, sometimes as much as the value of the vehicle. Toyota does distribute cars in Africa, and you could probably find a Hiace there for much less money than buying one in Europe or elsewhere and shipping it.

• 9 years later...