Electrical Trouble Shoot

topher

I have a 1994 Toyota Celica ST 1.8L .

My battery seems to keep draining lately and I can't figure out the source of the problem. I recently changed the battery and purchased a new alternator. Everything worked fine for awhile. About two weeks later I was driving my car, stopped at a light and the car shut off and would not restart.

This is what I tried so far:

Had the battery load tested and it checked out good.

Measured the voltage of the battery: 12.6 volts

To test the alternator I check the voltage over the battery terminals while car was running: 14.7 volts

To check for a short I used and amp meter and measured it through the neg terminal/neg clamp hook up: Read .04

Took out all the fuses and didn't see a drop in the amps.

Now I am out of ideas to try. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? It is a very slow drain, but I still don't feel comfortable driving it for long distances.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Do you have an alarm system? Aftermarket alarms are notorious for draining batteries. Also, you probably shouldn't worry about long trips...unless your alternator isn't charging the battery, a long trip would be good for it.

Do you have an alarm system? Aftermarket alarms are notorious for draining batteries. Also, you probably shouldn't worry about long trips...unless your alternator isn't charging the battery, a long trip would be good for it.

I have an aftermarket automatic start but that has been installed for about a year and the problem just started recently. I could give those wires a look at still, maybe one of the connections chaffed.

The reason I didn't want to take it for a long drive is how it just stopped running last time. As I'm sure most of us know how much it stinks to break down far away from you house. But maybe I will give it a try and just get a friend to follow me. (or purchase a jump box)

Another question I have is does anyone know what the "dark" current flow is suppose to be?

Thanks for the ideas.

The current from the alternator drops from 14.6 to 9.3 when I turn on my high beams and my heat, does this mean I need a new alternator or is something else the problem?

I presume you mean voltage drops. Sounds like you may have a bad charging system. Not sure but suspect that the voltage regulator and alternator are one piece. Is there a local store where you can get this checked out?

Most systems I have worked on the voltage should stay in the 12.5 - 13.5 VDC range. Target is usually around 13.2 VDC.

Good luck