power window malfunction

jsambo1

My 2000 sienna Le has developed an intermittent failure of the drivers side power window. It will stop a few inches from the top and will not work for a while. If I wait a bit it will go up a bit at a time. The last time it happened it was raining and my wife is not happy but does not trust my mechanic skills. Could this be the switch and not the motor on the window? Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I just had this van into the dealer at 97K for oil sludging and they replaced the valve guides. Is this a usual fix for this condition and should I consider synthetic oil from now on?

THis has been a great van and I would love to keep it to 200K.

Thank you.

jsam

It's a common problem...I had it on my Camry. And yes, it almost always happens when it rains or it's cold. Your driver's window motor is most likely going out because that's the one that gets used most often. You can get a new one for a couple hundred bucks. And believe me, it's worth it...your wife will tell you that.

As for the oil sludging: just change your oil every 3k/3,000 miles, and you should be fine. Don't forget your normal maintenance, and your van should easily last to 200k, maybe more. The 3.0 V6 is a great engine...mine was still smooth, powerful, and efficient at 175k when I sold it.

thanks for the answer toyota guru. How hard is it to get the door and the window controls off? I took the door off of my accord to replace the power mirror and had to replace the clips that hod the door pannel in.

When they did my oil gel repair they replaced the valve covers and oil sending unit (which seems to be common) but they also replaced my valve guides because they noticed some smoke from my exhaust. The service was no charge so I did not care what they replaced but I wondered how this was related to the gelling issue?

Usually they just replace the engine when it's severely gelled. I'm not sure what they were doing with yours...

The door trim is easy to remove, but the clips are easy to break...cheap to replace, but easy to break.