4Runner Flywheel Failure

bozrite

My 2002 4Runner has an apparent flywheel failure ... starter runs, engine doesn't turn over, starter is good. I am told that this happens in Toyotas, the center bolt circle shears and flywheel then spins freely. Is this something that Toyota would provide any financial help on (car has 100K miles) ...is it a known problem covered by a service bulletin, or should I just bite the bullet and have my mechanic do it for about $700 - $800?

My 2002 4Runner has an apparent flywheel failure ... starter runs, engine doesn't turn over, starter is good. I am told that this happens in Toyotas, the center bolt circle shears and flywheel then spins freely. Is this something that Toyota would provide any financial help on (car has 100K miles) ...is it a known problem covered by a service bulletin, or should I just bite the bullet and have my mechanic do it for about $700 - $800?

That would almost fall under the "normal wear and tear category" because it's a clutch component. I haven't heard of any TSBs that would help, but if there are any, your mileage doesn't help you.... :(