Is Flushing the Transmission harmful or helpful? 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum

Carol P

I have been advised at my Toyota dealership where I do maintenance, to have a transmission fluid exchange done.  The manual doesn’t mention this as recommended on the Toyota website.  Confusing.  Independent reviews suggests that with the pressurized system they use to do this draining of fluid can actually dislodge particles distributing them elsewhere other than in the draining fluid, that later are found to have “ gummed up the workings.

Anyone have insight on this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Carol P

Hello Carol,

I have found the information provided on the Car Care Nut YouTube channel to be excellent.  If you haven't seen it, Amhed is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician with many years of experience in a dealership, and now as an independent.  I am aware of several videos where he talks about changing the transmission fluid.  Basically, if it has under 100K you can do a drain and fill (not a flush).  You are right about the "sludge"; if you haven't had a transmission service before 100K then the transmission may start slipping if you flush it and get rid of the sludge.  I love his series on maintenance.

Cindy

• Like 2

• 2 months later...