99 Camry LE horn not working (made in Japan VIN starts with JT2)

supergabe954

Greetings everyone!  I would appreciate some help please.  I inherited a 99 Camry LE (Japan made) with 39k miles and cruise control.  An aftermarket horn button was installed on the dashboard wired directly to the horn relay and grounded on the bottom of the dash.  That button sounds the horn, so I assume things are ok from the horn relay to the horns (horn relay, 10a fuse, wiring and horns). I installed a new/used clockspring (I checked the clockspring continuity of each pin in the clockspring, and get continuity on all 4 pins).  I pressed the factory horn button/airbag and nothing. All the clips were installed properly with an audible click. I don't see any wire breaks or splices. I don't know wiring well or how to read schematics.  I checked the inside of the steering wheel where the airbag sits, and checked continuity from the pressure plate that appears to ground when you press the horn button/airbag.  When the metal plates make contact, it shows continuity.  But then I noticed a connector on the left side of the steering wheel, near the airbag retaining screw.  I don't recall disconnecting that plug and I'm lost.  I don't know if it's missing a plug, or if it's for an accessory my car doesn't have.  I attached a pic below.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Inked20220914_171848.jpg

Inked20220914_171921.jpg

20220912_163720.jpg

20220912_163613.jpg

20220914_171856.jpg

horn schematic.docx

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!  I resolved the issue.  The original clockspring was defective. I installed the new/used clockspring and kept checking the wiring, suspecting that a wire was spliced when the previous mechanic installed that dashboard horn button.  I found a wire that was spliced under the horn relay. The mechanic spliced the wire for the aftermarket horn button. I spliced the wire together again, and re-installed the steering wheel. The steering wheel must be grounded and installed all the way or the factory horn switch won't sound the horn  Once it was all put back together, the horn is working as it should.   Thank you!                PS I still don't know what that extra connector is for. It's just a dummy connector and serves no purpose.