Nose Diving during Moderate Braking

Issue: Nose Diving during Moderate Braking and Rotors Warping on 2000 Camry CE

I'm looking for experienced information on this problem. Due to brake shuddering, I replaced the front rotors and pads when I bought my used 2000 Camry CE a few months ago. Braking smoothed out, however, before and after that brake work, the car would nose dive during moderate braking from between 40 & 50mph. I've owned 5 Toyotas over the years, and driven several others, and have not had that problem. It occurred to me that poorly adjusted rear brakes could be the cause of the nose diving, and the parking brake clearly needed adjustment as it would nearly top out before catching. Due to other priorities I delayed the adjustment. After 3 - 5 months, I finally adjusted the rear brakes (drums), however, by that time - the front had resumed some vibration during moderate braking from 40-50mph. The nose diving continued throughout.

Recently, a friend suggested that the nose diving could be resulting from a failed or failing brake metering or combination valve. I've also read forum posts and advertising that indicate that new springs (w/ or w/out new struts) might be required to fix this. Before I spend the money on one or the other, or both, I'd like to learn if anyone knows exactly how to diagnose and resolve the true cause of these issues (nose diving and premature warping of front rotors).

- AllToyota

Issue: Nose Diving during Moderate Braking and Rotors Warping on 2000 Camry CE

I'm looking for experienced information on this problem. Due to brake shuddering, I replaced the front rotors and pads when I bought my used 2000 Camry CE a few months ago. Braking smoothed out, however, before and after that brake work, the car would nose dive during moderate braking from between 40 & 50mph. I've owned 5 Toyotas over the years, and driven several others, and have not had that problem. It occurred to me that poorly adjusted rear brakes could be the cause of the nose diving, and the parking brake clearly needed adjustment as it would nearly top out before catching. Due to other priorities I delayed the adjustment. After 3 - 5 months, I finally adjusted the rear brakes (drums), however, by that time - the front had resumed some vibration during moderate braking from 40-50mph. The nose diving continued throughout.

Recently, a friend suggested that the nose diving could be resulting from a failed or failing brake metering or combination valve. I've also read forum posts and advertising that indicate that new springs (w/ or w/out new struts) might be required to fix this. Before I spend the money on one or the other, or both, I'd like to learn if anyone knows exactly how to diagnose and resolve the true cause of these issues (nose diving and premature warping of front rotors).

- AllToyota

Not sure if this helps but I had a 94 Grand Caravan where the rear wheel cylinders where defective. The rear brakes did not work at all. Have you tried jacking up a rear tire and spinning it while someone else applies the brakes? This was how I finally found the problem. Other wise diving could indicate failing springs and or struts. Usually with strut failure you also get a lot of bounce when going over bumps. Also usually get uneven tire wear.

Long shot but are the springs broken? Unusual but not impossible. This would usually allow the front to sag while stationary.

Good luck

Roy

If your combination (or part of it - the metering valve) valve is failing you cannot simply check it. This valve delays hydraulic pressure for the disk brakes until pressure is enought to apply the drum brakes. If it's failing it will cause the nose dive. But if drum brakes are not operational at all it will cause the same thing plus disk brakes will have to do all 100% of braking and most likely overheat.

Check operation of rear brakes. If it's working - change the valve.