96 Camry 4cycle

feigenw

8 mths ago I was told (by my mechanic) that the O-ring within distributor was causing this

leak. The leak has increased, yet the care runs fine. I will check in the dist-cap for oil.

If I did not find oil then , what are your suggestions related to finding the oil leak and

repairing it ?

I have gotten two estimates to replace the distributor(OEM part) and it is expensive.i.e.

$600.00.

Any suggestions related to reducing this cost ?

Thanks,

Walter

8 mths ago I was told (by my mechanic) that the O-ring within distributor was causing this

leak. The leak has increased, yet the care runs fine. I will check in the dist-cap for oil.

If I did not find oil then , what are your suggestions related to finding the oil leak and

repairing it ?

I have gotten two estimates to replace the distributor(OEM part) and it is expensive.i.e.

$600.00.

Any suggestions related to reducing this cost ?

Thanks,

Walter

My experience with dealing with this complaint does not require replacing the distributor assembly..There is a small o-ring at the base of the distributor, where it contacts the cylinder head that fails and leaks. (p/n 90099-14127, list price $3.43) The repair for this only involves taking the distributor loose and removing it from the head, replacing the o-ring, and re-assembling.

It is not an uncommon part to fail on Camry's of your vintage. More messy than critical, as long as you keep an eye on the oil level.

My experience with dealing with this complaint does not require replacing the distributor assembly..There is a small o-ring at the base of the distributor, where it contacts the cylinder head that fails and leaks. (p/n 90099-14127, list price $3.43) The repair for this only involves taking the distributor loose and removing it from the head, replacing the o-ring, and re-assembling.

It is not an uncommon part to fail on Camry's of your vintage. More messy than critical, as long as you keep an eye on the oil level.

Thank you for your help. Once the weather breaks I will taking a closer look at the distributor.

A $300.00 part (distributor) vs. $3.43 part is a very big difference. Once again, thank you very much.