06 XLE Recirc Blower speeds up when accelerating

kspeach

My 2006 XLE, just got it, I have the heat turned on to recirculate, on my feet.

When I accelerate, the blower speeds up, and when I slow down, the blower slows down.

This is quite annoying in the city with stop and go traffic...no consistency.

The mechanic where I bought my car is trying to convince me that this is normal. I didn't notice it until AFTER they installed my remote start/alarm.

Can anyone give me any backup to convince them otherwise, or backup to convince me that is normal?

if it isn't normal, what words/phrases do I need to drop to get them to look at it deeper?

Thanks.

If I understand your scenario, it sounds like you are noticing a normal variation in the operation of voltage dependent accessories. If you look closely (darker neighborhood street vs a well lit boulevard) you should see a slight change in the brightness of your headlights that is engine rev dependent as well. (low idle...dimmer lights...higher revs...brighter lights)

I think what you are seeing is the normal fluctuation of these items. As the engine revs increase, the amount of voltage created by the electronic support equipment (alternator etc) is increased proportionately and more volts and current pass through the circuits of the appliance (blower motor, headlights etc) and the faster/brighter they run. To this end, it would appear that your mechanic isn't pulling your leg and is correct.

That said, however, if it's a major dim of lights at night on idle at a stop light or a major drop in blower fan speed, there may be cause for concern. Someone help me here, but it seems (in my experiences over several hundred thousand miles) that if an alternator, regulator, or other part of the "charging circuit" is going bad (battery), this fluctuation is more pronounced when the appliances are, in effect, running entirely off the alternator etc. On the light side, there may be a belt that just needs tension increased a twitch.

My personal (albeit brief) experience with remote starters (especially when done by the individual vs a "shop") are that they're often a source of problems. The ONE I had, I had removed after it killed the engine while driving several times (previous owners kids installed it)!

May be a bare wire causing a ground situation that may be slowly trickling your batter down. Just throwin stuff out there....30/30 guaranteed accurate ... 30 feet or 30 seconds whichever comes first ;)

TL

My 2006 XLE, just got it, I have the heat turned on to recirculate, on my feet.

When I accelerate, the blower speeds up, and when I slow down, the blower slows down.

This is quite annoying in the city with stop and go traffic...no consistency.

The mechanic where I bought my car is trying to convince me that this is normal. I didn't notice it until AFTER they installed my remote start/alarm.

Can anyone give me any backup to convince them otherwise, or backup to convince me that is normal?

if it isn't normal, what words/phrases do I need to drop to get them to look at it deeper?

Thanks.

Don't what all changed from 06 to 08 but my 08 SE does NOT do this.

Roy

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you got anywhere with your problem with the fan speed variations? If not, some suggestions: This didn't seem to begin until after they installed the remote starter system. I'm heard of some problems with after-market installation of those system screwing up some of the computer functions. Worth checking out - disconnect remote starter circuit and test. Additionally, a change in voltage would cause a change in the speed. A bad/loose ground connection could cause that. What was disconnected when they installed the remorte starter system? Did they tighten everything properly? Please post the present status of your car and if they found the cause, what it was so that other owners would be aware of what to look out for. Thanks. Hy

• 4 weeks later...
If I understand your scenario, it sounds like you are noticing a normal variation in the operation of voltage dependent accessories. If you look closely (darker neighborhood street vs a well lit boulevard) you should see a slight change in the brightness of your headlights that is engine rev dependent as well. (low idle...dimmer lights...higher revs...brighter lights)

I think what you are seeing is the normal fluctuation of these items. As the engine revs increase, the amount of voltage created by the electronic support equipment (alternator etc) is increased proportionately and more volts and current pass through the circuits of the appliance (blower motor, headlights etc) and the faster/brighter they run. To this end, it would appear that your mechanic isn't pulling your leg and is correct.

That said, however, if it's a major dim of lights at night on idle at a stop light or a major drop in blower fan speed, there may be cause for concern. Someone help me here, but it seems (in my experiences over several hundred thousand miles) that if an alternator, regulator, or other part of the "charging circuit" is going bad (battery), this fluctuation is more pronounced when the appliances are, in effect, running entirely off the alternator etc. On the light side, there may be a belt that just needs tension increased a twitch.

My personal (albeit brief) experience with remote starters (especially when done by the individual vs a "shop") are that they're often a source of problems. The ONE I had, I had removed after it killed the engine while driving several times (previous owners kids installed it)!

May be a bare wire causing a ground situation that may be slowly trickling your batter down. Just throwin stuff out there....30/30 guaranteed accurate ... 30 feet or 30 seconds whichever comes first ;)

TL

Sounds pretty accurate, my guess would be that it most likely is the remote starter and not anything else related to the power system since your car is so new.