Camry "fluid gurgle"

TooLate

Camry SE 03 4 Cyl w/120M miles. Noticing on initial cold start drive off's under acceleration a "scritching" sound behind or near firewall (drivers side). Sounds like fluid with a few bubbles in it being forced into small diameter tubing (like a high pitched version of a ketchup squeeze bottle...just filled but with occasional air bubble in it).

Only happens first 10 miles or so, only from stop light/sign under accel. Does not occur during decel. or when rev'd in neutral while stopped at the stop light or while applying or releasing brake pressure.

Am I low on some type of fluid? (no spots on driveway etc) Seems to be more frequently noticed in cold weather.

Similar sound occurs after precipitation but that's on the other side and is a trickle sound vs the pressurized "scritch".

(Is there a drain I need to clean to stop the trickle?)

Curiously awaiting replies.

TL

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is that there is some air in the coolant system. It should work its way out eventually. Is the coolant level proper? Should see coolant in overflow reservoir. Between fill lines. If not add coolant. Also, run the heater full blast to circulate coolant through it. That might help. Finally, you might just be too sensitive to normal fluid movement noises in the car.

On the draining sound after rain. This is a good thing. If the drains were not draining you would have bigger problems. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks,

Just had it serviced yesterday. Levels should be topped off. I'll listen more carefully. Don't hear the same thing in the other Toy. (Sienna). It was a while between services this time and the low levels, may have been allowing air to be pulled back into the coolant when we cooled down to our snuggly 4 deg F. It did seem to be rpm dependent...i.e. as I accelerated I could hear the fluid "squirt" through the system (like a half full and non-bled catsup squeeze bottle). Seemed (as you say) to leave about the time the thermostat should be opening up. Don't know why I didn't make the connection...good question for "Mr. Obvious".

Thanks again. Stay tuned...

tl