Supra

johnnyd6

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The Supra is gone forever guys. Toyota created the LF-A concept as a last shot at a sports car, but unique as it is, there just wasn't enough support. Because of it's complexity, it's projected cost of production was monumental, and therefore they had to put it under the Lexus name (with the exception of the SUV's, Toyota doesn't have anything over $30k). I'ts been a while since I've read up on it, but if I remember correctly, the estimated MSRP for the resulting production car based off the LF-A concept was somewhere in the order of $80k to $90k.

As of this year, both the MR-2 and the Celica are dead as well. Toyota is moving to an entirely utilitarian product line, leaving us all high and dry.

In the future, we might see the occasional "sporty" car put out by Lexus, but I don't ecpect we'll ever see a true-blooded sports car from our beloved manufacturer again.

Lexus is definitely moving to the high-performance side, though. It may be moving away from Toyota, but at least it's staying in the family. Look at the IS350, the GS350, and the GS450h...not to mention the new 380 horsepower LS460, and the hybrid LS600h with over 400 horsepower. The current IS350 is actually faster than the Supra Turbo.

• 1 year later...

I completely agree. (random, huh?) Our love for our cars will live on in our garages/driveways. Why they would leave us high and dry; I don't think Toyota will ever have a reason good enough for me.

The I6 is a proven engine platform, and why they would stray from that in the next "generation" just blows my mind.

*sigh* We are truly a rare breed...

I know...it's very sad. I understand why they're leaving the I-6 behind: it's too inefficient, and has lousy gas mileage and emissions for today's standards...valid reasons, but still sad.

The 2JZ is still my favorite engine, but maybe the new 4.6 liter could be super/turbo charged. The new 3.5 liter in naturally aspirated form is over 300hp...a little forced induction, and maybe it could be over 400hp? I'm getting used to my 3.5 liter, but I'd love a little more power out of it.

I'm waiting for the "F" accessories line to add GS parts, and I'll add an exhaust and intake to my car, and maybe I'll get another 20 hp or so. If anyone sees a supercharger for the 3.5 liter, and it's not insanely expensive, let me know!!