2004 4Runner exaust problem

Markar

I recently purchased a SR5 2004 4Runner AWD V8. I had two other 4Runners previously and loved them both. I especially enjoy driving with the sun roof open and the back window down. My dog really loves to ride with the back window down. When I drive with the rear window open it lets in a lot of exhaust gas...especially when I go up hill. The dealer and Toyota say its normal, and I shouldn't drive with the window down...end of story. I've asked at least five other 4Runner owners with the same model if they experience the same problem. and they all said that they ride with it down all the time, and never experience this problem. Last week I took the dealers head service person out for a test drive and all he said was I shouldn't drive with the window down.

I'm not at all pleased with this response.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

I recently purchased a SR5 2004 4Runner AWD V8. I had two other 4Runners previously and loved them both. I especially enjoy driving with the sun roof open and the back window down. My dog really loves to ride with the back window down. When I drive with the rear window open it lets in a lot of exhaust gas...especially when I go up hill. The dealer and Toyota say its normal, and I shouldn't drive with the window down...end of story. I've asked at least five other 4Runner owners with the same model if they experience the same problem. and they all said that they ride with it down all the time, and never experience this problem. Last week I took the dealers head service person out for a test drive and all he said was I shouldn't drive with the window down.

I'm not at all pleased with this response.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?

It's just a matter of physics. Your tailpipe is right under the rear window and driivng creates a vacuum that sucks the exhaust right in thru the rear window. One suggestion would be to have a shop like Car-X or Midas modify your tailpipe and send the exhaust out toward the side behind the rear wheel instead of under your rear bumpter. Hopefully, redirecting the exhaust gas may keep it out of your rear window. No guarantees but it's just an idea. Check w/ anyone who has a 96-02 4-Runner. I believe those years had the exhaust routed out to passenger side rear and not right under the bumper. Good luck. :)

It's just a matter of physics. Your tailpipe is right under the rear window and driivng creates a vacuum that sucks the exhaust right in thru the rear window. One suggestion would be to have a shop like Car-X or Midas modify your tailpipe and send the exhaust out toward the side behind the rear wheel instead of under your rear bumpter. Hopefully, redirecting the exhaust gas may keep it out of your rear window. No guarantees but it's just an idea. Check w/ anyone who has a 96-02 4-Runner. I believe those years had the exhaust routed out to passenger side rear and not right under the bumper. Good luck. :)

You are correct. I owned both a 96 and a 2001 4runner. They are vented to the side and I never had a problem. I may just do a Midas retrofit if they can. A rear muffler or resonator is very close to the back so they may not have the space to work.

What has me puzzled, is why others aren't having the same problem. I have spoken with 5 other owners of this body style and no one else has this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
You are correct. I owned both a 96 and a 2001 4runner. They are vented to the side and I never had a problem. I may just do a Midas retrofit if they can. A rear muffler or resonator is very close to the back so they may not have the space to work.

What has me puzzled, is why others aren't having the same problem. I have spoken with 5 other owners of this body style and no one else has this problem.

I suspect that minor changes in the configuration of the tailpipe can make a big difference. I never had a problem with exhaust coming in the back window of my 94 4Runner as long as it had the stock exhaust system. Once I had it replaced at Meineke I started having problems - even though the tailpipe Meineke installed was visually similar to the stock one. I had the tailpipe replaced again later, and the problem isn't as bad now. Small differences in exhaust system/tailpipe configuration may explain why some 4Runners have this problem and others don't.