03 Camry

TooLate

03 Camry SE. How much space is behind the cupholder "junk tray" located under the dash. Don't want to risk trying to remove it and cracking it only to find insufficient space to install a small radio or scanner. If sufficient, may make a cut-out of the existing material to give a customized look. Anyone done something like this (mounted stereo, radio, cb, scanner etc) at this location...Have pix? Thanx in advance.

TL

• 3 months later...

Sorry...not ignoring the question, just don't have an answer of any value...

I've never torn out the cupholders...I value my morning coffee far too much to ever jeopardize a cupholder... :rolleyes:

Excellent point...same here. On a 65 mile commute, a cupaJOE can be critical especially at 12 deg outside.

I was just kicking around putting in some electronics (scanner or CB) for road condition info and for entertainment (NoDoz via electron) and would like to get them nearby but recessed to keep from losing too much space...and to keep it looking somewhat "clean". Old EMT's never die, they just "standby"...and it never hurts to check out the road ahead with a cooperative truck driver.

If I just knew the tricks to snap out the plastic liners (without cracking them), I could check for myself and replace them if it doesn't look like it's a good idea. I don't want to ruin the "trade in" by hackin up the interior...sort of like the "outdoors"...leave it at least as good as you found it...

Besides, a good Octopus cup holder or a wide bodied bottom weighted insulated capped travel cup (Lambert's Restaurant) will do the same thing.

TL

Excellent point...same here. On a 65 mile commute, a cupaJOE can be critical especially at 12 deg outside.

I was just kicking around putting in some electronics (scanner or CB) for road condition info and for entertainment (NoDoz via electron) and would like to get them nearby but recessed to keep from losing too much space...and to keep it looking somewhat "clean". Old EMT's never die, they just "standby"...and it never hurts to check out the road ahead with a cooperative truck driver.

If I just knew the tricks to snap out the plastic liners (without cracking them), I could check for myself and replace them if it doesn't look like it's a good idea. I don't want to ruin the "trade in" by hackin up the interior...sort of like the "outdoors"...leave it at least as good as you found it...

Besides, a good Octopus cup holder or a wide bodied bottom weighted insulated capped travel cup (Lambert's Restaurant) will do the same thing.

TL

Hey, I'll try to do some research in the parts catalog when I get back to work on Thursday (if I'm still working!) and get back to you. I know that on some Toyotas the little storage area bolts into the same framework that the radio does, and is accessed by removing the dash trim around the radio. But I am not familiar enough with an '03 Camry to be sure without a little further investigating. Stay tuned for more info. I do know that some of the Toyotas I drive were built B.C. (before cupholders) which allows the driver to have his coffee containment vessel clamped securely between the driver's thighs, providing the famous scalding hot liquid splash experience during athletic cornering. Sometimes modern designs are better. I wasn't planning on having anymore kids anyway.............

Hey, I'll try to do some research in the parts catalog when I get back to work on Thursday (if I'm still working!) and get back to you. I know that on some Toyotas the little storage area bolts into the same framework that the radio does, and is accessed by removing the dash trim around the radio. But I am not familiar enough with an '03 Camry to be sure without a little further investigating. Stay tuned for more info. I do know that some of the Toyotas I drive were built B.C. (before cupholders) which allows the driver to have his coffee containment vessel clamped securely between the driver's thighs, providing the famous scalding hot liquid splash experience during athletic cornering. Sometimes modern designs are better. I wasn't planning on having anymore kids anyway.............

True...I've had multiple Toyotas from "B.C.". I found that in many cases (well, Supras, anyway), you can just pull out the ashtray and use that area for a water bottle or similar. My Porsche has absolutely nothing in the cupholder department, not even a work around. I guess they just want you to drive and not screw around...

03 Camry SE. How much space is behind the cupholder "junk tray" located under the dash. Don't want to risk trying to remove it and cracking it only to find insufficient space to install a small radio or scanner. If sufficient, may make a cut-out of the existing material to give a customized look. Anyone done something like this (mounted stereo, radio, cb, scanner etc) at this location...Have pix? Thanx in advance.

TL

Well, I looked through the parts catalog for your Camry today and it looks like it all snaps together. Anyway, there were no screws listed in the picture. Perhaps you can remove the parts you need to get access to the areas you want to check out. I wish I could be more specific for you, but I haven't had one of these apart myself. Good luck. I can fax you a pic of the parts illustration if you think that might help. Just let me know.