Cold Air Intake

distyman

Hey, need some help/advise. I have a 1999 v6 LE. I put on a CAI and cannot get the car to run. The brand name is Option Racing. When I installed the unit I ended up with a small house, about 1/4" diameter that came off of the bottom of the OEM air box and ran back to somewhere on the top of the engine. There was no place to connect to the new CIA. Anyway I tried just letting it hang out in the open, that did not work so I tried plugging it up and that did not work. In either case the car will start then die. The two other hoses were on problem and connected just fine. Can anybody advise what may need to be done?

That hose is breather. You can leave it hanging. It could spill some oil occasionally. It doesnt have any effect on engine when disconnected from intake. Dont know why your car is "dying", I was driving my car without any (I didnt had anything before throtlle plate) air intake for about 2 months. Breather hose was hanging and IAT sensor was hanging too.

By the way.. Where you put you incoming air temperature sensor?

You can get breather filter from ebay and put it on the end of that hose you were talking about. Or on the valve cover, where that hose is connected. Remove the hose and put a filter.

Hi, make sure you are not removing or unplugging any Mass Air Sensor. Your car will not run without it. It's an electronic contraption which is normally built into the airtube between the air cleaner and the throttle body. To know what it looks like, go to www.autopartswarehouse.com and plug in your year make and model and look for "intake sensor" and you will see a pic of it. It meters all the air that goes into your engine, and if you bypass it, your car will not run since the computer would not be getting any info to run the car. A CAI is fine but you cannot do without that particular sensor. I've been there. Good luck, attached pic for you here

post-612-1192391612_thumb.jpg

Hi, make sure you are not removing or unplugging any Mass Air Sensor. Your car will not run without it. It's an electronic contraption which is normally built into the airtube between the air cleaner and the throttle body. To know what it looks like, go to www.autopartswarehouse.com and plug in your year make and model and look for "intake sensor" and you will see a pic of it. It meters all the air that goes into your engine, and if you bypass it, your car will not run since the computer would not be getting any info to run the car. A CAI is fine but you cannot do without that particular sensor. I've been there. Good luck, attached pic for you here

Do you think he's THAT stupid? :unsure::lol: :lol:

But yeah, you right about that. And engine can start and then die, because when ECU is not receiving voltage signal from MAF it will run in a "safe" mode, or will cut ignition.

I have MAP sansor it's easier to work with, and fueling is still accurate. Don't know why they are putting MAFs istead of MAPs though... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, getting back to you guys on this issue. Sorry, my job took me out of town for a few days. So, I do have the unit installed and is working just fine but while working on it I came across a very weird situation which I can not explain. I had the vacuum hose just hanging and not attached to anything so I move it to a more protected spot were it was pointing straight up. I was going to give up on the CAI but tried starting the car once more and it started and ran just fine. So while it was running I moved the hose until it was level with the engine and it started to bog down and when I pointed the hose straight down it died!! I put the hose pointing straight up and it started right up without any issues and runs perfect. The hose did not have any kinks or pinching on it the whole time, just in my case it needs to point straight up!!! Why...I don’t know.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you take a picture of that hose? And where it's comming from. Because from your description it's not a breather tube.. :unsure:

Hi, I'll try to get this to attach, if it works you'll see the small red filter I put onto the tube.

post-1340-1194485714_thumb.jpg