New kid on the block, sort of

bigbird

hi guys, new member here but ive been around and owned camrys for years. so far ive owned and modded a 95 XLE V6, 94 SE V6 coupe and now have a 97 LE V6 S/Ced. just thought id introduce myself. :D

97 LE V6:

TRD supercharger 4psi

3" cat with full 3" exhaust

Apexi turbo muffler

17" speedy meshie wheels

TRD lip kit

tein springs on KYB shocks

and a crappy sound system

post-2652-1191262087_thumb.jpg

post-2652-1191262181_thumb.jpg

post-2652-1191262336_thumb.jpg

post-2652-1191262649_thumb.jpg

post-2652-1191262718_thumb.jpg

thanks man. still have to dyno it, i pretty much bought it like this though i dont like buying modded cars, it was a deal i couldnt pass up. people are telling me about 210 at the wheels since i have an auto. as for the sound system i guess it aint that bad, 12 disc cd changer and infinity speakers all around, plus a amp and sub in the trunk which just takes up room and doesnt sound very good. sound systems are the last thing i worry about when it comes to modding...lol

Sounds like an awesome car (except for the crappy sound system)! How much power are you making in that thing?

2994ccm should be making about 215 - 220 hp @ 4 psi, depending on valvetrain, intercooling and other stuff like that..

With "safe" boost limit of 12 psi (safe for internals with enough fuel) it will be making about 360 hp but NOT with that crappy supercharger..

To author - can you put some pictures of your engine compartment?

2994ccm should be making about 215 - 220 hp @ 4 psi, depending on valvetrain, intercooling and other stuff like that..

With "safe" boost limit of 12 psi (safe for internals with enough fuel) it will be making about 360 hp but NOT with that crappy supercharger..

To author - can you put some pictures of your engine compartment?

not sure what 2994ccm is. 4psi is the TRD factory pullie, good for about 210 whp on the auto tranny. no one has a 12 psi pullie that ive ever herd of and certainly not without a fully built motor and very upgraded fuel system. as far as the camry goes the TRD S/C is the only good FI option out there for the money. the other smaller pullies that were in production can get u up to about that 340 but at the crank and at 10psi but no one i know would go over 6 with out engine and tranny work. that aint much by todays standards but it is a camry. i also only paid about 600 bucks for 3,400 bucks worth of mods so it was a no brainer.

i do have a very crappy pic of the engine bay before i cleaned it, not much to look at but how many S/Ced camrys do u see :lol:

post-2652-1191528749_thumb.jpg

Hey guys...this is gonna sound pretty noobish but what does it mean to "dyno" your car? I see a lot of people saying that...

Dyno means putting your car on a dynamometer stand and testing your cars torque and horsepower. And recording a dyno plot (two graphs - torque vs rpm and hp vs rpm)

not sure what 2994ccm is. 4psi is the TRD factory pullie, good for about 210 whp on the auto tranny. no one has a 12 psi pullie that ive ever herd of and certainly not without a fully built motor and very upgraded fuel system. as far as the camry goes the TRD S/C is the only good FI option out there for the money. the other smaller pullies that were in production can get u up to about that 340 but at the crank and at 10psi but no one i know would go over 6 with out engine and tranny work. that aint much by todays standards but it is a camry. i also only paid about 600 bucks for 3,400 bucks worth of mods so it was a no brainer.

i do have a very crappy pic of the engine bay before i cleaned it, not much to look at but how many S/Ced camrys do u see :lol:

ccm - cubic cm - 1/1000 of litre. Your displacement.

Hey, I'm not talking about S/Cing it to a 12psi. I'm talking about turbo. But yeah, you right.. auto tranny will not hold that much. Engine components will hold it if you lower the initial compression ratio (Thicker cylinder head gasket would be one of the cheapest choises. Not too good though) and put a good fuel map and getting some higher flow injectors. Ignition map have to be tuned too. If you keep AFR rich enought pistons and conrods will hold the boost. Of course if you want to make everything right you have to get those forged Ross pistons.

In your case S/C is the best option ($600) but you can make a nice turbo project with $3400.. With much better results..

Although if you have an auto tranny.. well.. you better get a manual one..

Manual tranny holds increased power very good. Unless you do some crazy sh** like drifting. Then you have to get a Limited slip differential. Of course any increase in power requires a better clutch.

the manual will hopefully be the next big project, there are a couple people who have done a turbo setup on the 1mz and with pretty good results. i think tonythetiger on toyotanation has his 94 V6 up to about 480 whp with a massive turbo. funny thing is he has an auto too, but that thing is a fully built auto with 100% custom parts(could have bought and modded a manual for that much). me i was jsut lookin for the easy way to power, i stil need my car to be daily drivable and reliable, which the TRD kit provides.

actually i'v seen some ppl that modded their automatic car to a extreme amount. I once found a guy who had a IS300 5speed auto E-shift and turbo'd it past 400 horsepower, that thing was insane

Yeah, and with a manual it would be even crazier than insane ;)

• 2 weeks later...

True...it just seems like it would be less fun. Honestly though, I haven't been able to drive a manual yet. However my grandpa isn't exactly a certified mechanic, but he's worked on tons and tons of cars, and once I get my license I'll be driving up there so he can help me replace the motor mounts. After that if I can find a cheap manual tranny cheap enough, we may go at that also. He says it's harder in the FWD cars because there's hardly any space to work with the tranny and the clutch...he's more into classic cars or newer RWD cars. But hopefully I'll have at least some sort of manual in *my* Camry sometime..

Easier to drag race in an automatic...

You must be joking..

You will eat dust if you drag race with automatic (except CV tranny in some cases)

Auto tranny has VERY bad acceleration. It feels like your clutch is slipping when you step on gas pedal. Even if car is more powerful then opponents you still can be the second one, because you cannot alter the way your gears are shifting. And shifting is the most importatnt thing in drag racing. Horsepower is just second most important thing.

Yes it's easier to drag race with auto tranny, but easier is not always better ;)

True...it just seems like it would be less fun. Honestly though, I haven't been able to drive a manual yet. However my grandpa isn't exactly a certified mechanic, but he's worked on tons and tons of cars, and once I get my license I'll be driving up there so he can help me replace the motor mounts. After that if I can find a cheap manual tranny cheap enough, we may go at that also. He says it's harder in the FWD cars because there's hardly any space to work with the tranny and the clutch...he's more into classic cars or newer RWD cars. But hopefully I'll have at least some sort of manual in *my* Camry sometime..

Of course he will help you. Only difference between RWD and FWD trannys are that FWD has differential inside of a gearbox and driveshafts connects to a transmission directly. In RWD differential is located in the back of a car, between the wheels and only thing that goes from tranny is a cardan shaft, which goes to a differencial. So its even easier to take out transmission in a RWD, because you don't have to take the driveshafts from wheels (and tranny). Which takes about 15 minutes and I had to do front wheel alignment afterwards