94 Camry LE 4cyl

94cylcamry

Mmm...I'm in love with the 280Z's and 280ZX's. Also I think I saw a white 300ZX up for sale around here, so I may have to look into that. For the Preludes...I like the newer ones...those can be expensive though. The 3000GT's are nice cars in my opinion...I don't know much about them though. And I have no idea what a 240SX is.....but I do know what an RX-7 is. I guess I'll have to wait awhile on most of these cars though...

How much do you think it would cost for a good paint job? Haha this is all theoretical...you know I'm not going to even do half of this stuff...

240SZ is a Nissan...it's the next step down from the 300ZX:

pp240_tn.jpg

This one comes in a coupe, convertible, or hatchback, depending on model year.

3000GTs are nice cars. They're the same as a Dodge Stealth, so either one is decent. About 220hp in the standard motor. The only drawback: front wheel drive. You probably don't want to consider the VR-4 model because it's a turbo with all the usual turbo reliability issues, and the AWD system can be expensive to maintain. And then there's the insurance issue too...

You're going to hate this, but really, the best thing to do would be to stick with the Camry. They're wonderful, reliable cars, great gas mileage, cheap insurance, easy to find parts for, and you could always add a few upgrades like the intake, exhaust, and stereo we've been talking about. I had one for a few years, and it was a great car.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint job: You could go anywhere from a few hundred bucks to several thousand, depending on exactly how good you want it to be. Toyota factory paint is pretty good though...yours should be a basecoat/clearcoat, with several layers of color and a clearcoat to protect against fading/oxidation.

Wow. That 240SX is a nice looking car.

I guess I agree though...the Camry really is the better starter car for me...not to mention car insurance is....absurd. I guess I'll invest in that Weapon R Intake....the speakers...the stereo...see what happens from there. I'd like to pick up one of those chrome mufflers on ebay, but that can probably wait. I doubt half of this will even happen until April...and even if I do get the parts, I probably won't be able to install them until April. I'll be 16 soon...that just means I get my permit...not that Dad's actually passing down the car to me. That'll happen when I get my license...in April...

Anyway...any other suggestions on fun things I can do to this car?

Thanks guys.

One note on the last 3 or 4 posts: if you're responsible for paying the insurance, you probably want to stick with the Camry, at least for a few years. There's several factors that insurance companies jack up the rates for: driver age, 2 door car, 2 seater car, turbo cars, convertibles, and any engine over a 4 cylinder. Check the rate difference between an MR2 and a Camry...it's huge.

That being said, the MR2s rock! (as do the Supras in pretty much any model year). The quickest Celica would be the GT-S model, because it has an awesome Toyota/Yamaha VVTi-L motor that's lots of fun. Another one to look for would be one of the models from the early 90's, I think it was also a GT-S, but it was a hatchback, AWD model with a hood scoop, and an awesome 10 speaker factory stero.

GT-S (~180 hp) wasn't the quickest. The ather car you mentioned is actually the quickest and its GT-Four (hp varies but its 200+, fifth gen celica GT-Four had 225 hp) not GT-S. Hood scoop is there for a reason.. GT-Four has a front-mounted air-to-air intercooler.

But you are right about one thing though.

2ZZ-GE is a really awsome engine

Wow. That 240SX is a nice looking car.

I guess I agree though...the Camry really is the better starter car for me...not to mention car insurance is....absurd. I guess I'll invest in that Weapon R Intake....the speakers...the stereo...see what happens from there. I'd like to pick up one of those chrome mufflers on ebay, but that can probably wait. I doubt half of this will even happen until April...and even if I do get the parts, I probably won't be able to install them until April. I'll be 16 soon...that just means I get my permit...not that Dad's actually passing down the car to me. That'll happen when I get my license...in April...

Anyway...any other suggestions on fun things I can do to this car?

Thanks guys.

Theres always a turbo.

You can get a cheap kit for about $800. The turbo it comes with is a piece of crap, but you can start with it. Learn how the thing works. And then get an expensive one (like Greddy, HKS etc.) when you know what you actually need.

And if you want to go big I suggest to get a Megasquirt. It's a do-it-yourself injection and ignition controller (for about $150 - $200 depending on version of hardware). There are a lot of documentation about how it works. And its common for almost all ECUs. This controller is doing everything what the expensive bad-ass ECMs like AEM does. But its kinda harder to start to work with. And you have to do all the wiring yourself.

Check it out:

http://www.megasquirt.info/

I hope this one will work :lol:

GT-S (~180 hp) wasn't the quickest. The ather car you mentioned is actually the quickest and its GT-Four (hp varies but its 200+, fifth gen celica GT-Four had 225 hp) not GT-S. Hood scoop is there for a reason.. GT-Four has a front-mounted air-to-air intercooler.

But you are right about one thing though.

2ZZ-GE is a really awsome engine

You haven't factored in weight. I think the newer style Celica has to be much lighter...those older Celicas were a little heavy, and that AWD system didn't help the power-to-weight ratio at all.

Wow. So much of this is flying right over my head. Haha. I guess that's normal though...

Yeah, takes awhile to pick this stuff up. Don't get into a turbo car until you absolutely know what you're doing because it's a whole different set of rules.

Wow. Completely disregarding everything we just talked about for a minute.

Idea.

Body Kit!

Body kit. Paint job. I don't know much much a paint job costs or hard those body kits are to install...maybe I'd have to get that done...but I'm in love with how that Camry looks. Wow.

EDIT: Ok that's stupid...I'd be paying for that, for the paint, for the new lights, for the manual transmission, for the radio, for the speakers, for the intake, for the exhaust, for the tint job. That'd be one hot car, but I'd be one broke teenager...

EDIT: Why the heck won't that link work...anyway it's the "Spyder Body Kit" for a 92-96 Camry.

EDIT: Here let's see if this works...

BW_92CAMF.jpg

BW_92CAMR.jpg

EDIT: Plus wheels...

Your link isn't working either :P :lol:

I have my opinion about how the car looks like. I prefer a powerful sleeper over the dressedup loser ;) :lol:

Are there any major differences between the 93 and 94 Camry? There's a 93 up at the car place...3500 bucks. I wonder if that's an automatic or a manual....looks exactly like mine...it's just a 93.

Nope...pretty much the same thing. Toyotas go in 5 year cycles...1992-1996 was almost exactly the same.

Yeah, takes awhile to pick this stuff up. Don't get into a turbo car until you absolutely know what you're doing because it's a whole different set of rules.

Yeah, if you just slam a turbo on you will end up with melted pistons :lol:

You haven't factored in weight. I think the newer style Celica has to be much lighter...those older Celicas were a little heavy, and that AWD system didn't help the power-to-weight ratio at all.

They weren't heavy.. Supras were though.. Celicas always were lighter. Thats why they had only 4 cylinder engines.

If you want to get to this car thing I suggest you to get yourself a Civic. Because they can be modified very easily and internet is stuffed with mods for them. But I don't like civics, because its not fun, when its to easy <_< And I love Toyotas :lol:

Civics are great because if you put a "VTEC" sticker on the back, it adds 5 horsepower. And if you put those little fake racing hood tie downs on it AND the BMW Z3 fender vents, you get a combined horsepower increase of 25. And if you put a Supra spoiler on it (especially on the hatchbacks), it's an easy 100hp.

You can even tell how fast they are by the decibel level of the exhaust at 6,000 rpm...the louder the exhaust, the faster the car (a really loud one is almost as fast as the Porsche Carrera GT.).

It's absolutely amazing how easy it is to make them "fast"...

Civics are great because if you put a "VTEC" sticker on the back, it adds 5 horsepower. And if you put those little fake racing hood tie downs on it AND the BMW Z3 fender vents, you get a combined horsepower increase of 25. And if you put a Supra spoiler on it (especially on the hatchbacks), it's an easy 100hp.

You can even tell how fast they are by the decibel level of the exhaust at 6,000 rpm...the louder the exhaust, the faster the car (a really loud one is almost as fast as the Porsche Carrera GT.).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's exactly what I think.

EDIT: Although honestly if I made the "dressed up loser", like you said above, I'd essentially be doing the same thing right? Well...without the obnoxious exhaust.

Hmm.

Actually its easy because older civics and integras (OBD0 and OBD1) has a slot on the ECU board for an eprom. You can put a pre-programmed chip (which costs about $4) with tunned fuel and ignition maps, VTEC switch rpm and other settings. You dont have to buy programmable ECU or do the wiring. Although eprom programer costs about $300. Some guys made a socket for real time tuning. Thats why its easy.

I'm not talking about "ricers" :lol:

who doesnt even know what the VTEC or DOHC is

They weren't heavy.. Supras were though.. Celicas always were lighter. Thats why they had only 4 cylinder engines.

AWD Celica, circa 1991: 3272 lbs, 200 hp

Celica GT-S, circa 2005: 2500 lbs, 180 hp

Supra Turbo, circa 1994: 3215 lbs, 320hp

Actually its easy because older civics and integras (OBD0 and OBD1) has a slot on the ECU board for an eprom. You can put a pre-programmed chip (which costs about $4) with tunned fuel and ignition maps, VTEC switch rpm and other settings. You dont have to buy programmable ECU or do the wiring. Although eprom programer costs about $300. Some guys made a socket for real time tuning. Thats why its easy.

I'm not talking about "ricers" :lol:

Yeah, I know some of them are quick...I'm not a fan of front drive 4 cylinder sports cars, though. Something inherently wrong with that. The best Hondas ever are the NSX and the S2000 (could use a bit more torque though).