94 Camry LE 4cyl

94cylcamry

Heh, hey everyone. First post, so we'll see what happens. Here's my story:

I'm almost 16, and I'll be trying my luck at getting that permit in a week or two. A couple months from now, when I actually get my license(assuming all goes well), my dad is saving his 94 Camry for me. The car has 149K miles on her, and she's in pristine condition. No rips in the interior, no dents or dings, and the only thing that's actually wrong is...well I guess the motor mounts are going, so it idles a little rough. From what I understand however, for how much that's going to affect the car, it's not worth the price of labor to fix.

ANyway. I really do love this car, and it's great to start out on. However, it doesn't have a whole lot of kick. If you think I'm just a power hungry teen you can stop here, that's fine, I understand. Thanks to those who keep reading.

Questions:

1. What are some cheap upgrades I could do to this car without compromising it's reliability? Performance wise. How are some of these chilling intake systems? I've seen numerous computer chips all advertised to do the same thing....these stupid electric superchargers...etc. What's a noob to do with all this?

2. I'd like to replace the stock tape player/radio with a CD player and figure I may as well look into some new speakers as well...they don't have to be ridiculously loud, I'm not obnoxious when I listen to my music. I just want nice clear sound. Any suggestions on this? As above, I'd prefer this to be a cheaper set...

Any thoughts or anything at all is welcome. Thanks everyone! :rolleyes:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey congrats, the 94 Camry is a great car! I have one also and love it! Mine has the 4 cylinder and turned 247,000 miles on a replaced engine and runs and looks great. I do have some advice for you (from experience). If you want a bit more power and sound, get on E-bay. Find a less expensive "cold air intake". Do not pay up for one since they're all the same. You should find one under twenty bucks cuz they're just an aluminum tube and filter. No-name brand is best since you pay for "name brands". Slap that on.

Double check the engine mounts issue. I go to Car X where I trust the guy, but with an older car you will need a decent mechanic (not a Toyota dealer) who won't screw you over. I replaced 2 engine mounts on mine. They're basically big fat expensive rubber bands that brace the engine. If you do NOT replace the engine mounts, the vibration can rattle your drive train, seals, and exhaust and accelerate wearing it all out. Bite the bullet and replace the engine mounts, but shop around before you find yourself at the mercy of a mechanic with your car torn apart. A few phone calls here is worth it's weight in gold.

Do NOT put any "CHIP" on your car. It will make the "check engine" light come on and drive you crazy. Your O2 sensor controls the air-fuel mix, so if it thinks a chip is making your car run richer, the sensor will just compensate for it, so leave it alone. Don't use any of these "leaf blower" turbo's either, they are junk.

You can make the exhaust more throaty w/ 2 1/2 inch pipes behind the converter and a magnaflow rear muffler. You can delete the resonator and it will sound awesome, definitely a lot deeper.

As far as speakers and head-unit, double check the size you need. I think Circuit City (www.circuitcity.com) has a fitment guide. Get some decent Alpine speakers and a AM/FM/CD head unit on e-bay and slap them in. You may want to do a decent window tint job if it hasn't already been done, too. You've got a great car but don't go bonkers on the engine unless you want the Check Engine Light to be part of your life. Good luck! :) jhe.rentals@yahoo.com

post-612-1190387005_thumb.jpg

post-612-1190387521_thumb.jpg

post-612-1190387546_thumb.jpg

Yeah, some basic upgrades would be okay...intake & exhaust type stuff. Worst case scenario, you'll get slightly better gas mileage.

As for the vibration: before you start replacing things like motor mounts, make sure your basic services are up to date...tune-up, timing belt, etc.

Enjoy the car...that's a classic, beautiful body style, and I'm sure it will last you for many years to come.

Another option in addition to Circuit City: Best Buy. I've found that they're fairly equal in most aspects.

Wow, thanks guys! Ok a few things...I guess I have a lot of reading up to do on this.

For the speakers: Yeah, I was originally looking at Bestbuy, they have an online compatibility checker...don't know how accurate that is, but it's nice to see a baseline. And Alpine is a good brand? I'll check them out.

The muffler: What does replacing the muffler involve? Would I have to have that installed by a mechanic if I bought the part off Ebay? I've never worked on a car before but I'm hoping to learn some things.

Cold air intake: I've heard good things about these...basically it just extends the air filter to outside the engine compartment right? And same thing as the muffler---is that a relatively easy installation for someone who hasn't done this before?

Motor mounts: Yes everything else is up to date timing belt etc the cars been very well maintained. I didn't know the motor mounts were that crucial though...though I guess that makes sense when you think about it. It's just stupid that you have to pay that much money for a set of rubber washers...it's all labor.

Thanks guys!!!!

EDIT: For the intake, I guess I'd be looking at something like this? What do you think? And I have no idea on exhaust...I want a throatier sound but I don't want my car to sound obnoxious. And to clarify, am I just looking at a new muffler, or new piping as well? Thanks.

Wow, thanks guys! Ok a few things...I guess I have a lot of reading up to do on this.

For the speakers: Yeah, I was originally looking at Bestbuy, they have an online compatibility checker...don't know how accurate that is, but it's nice to see a baseline. And Alpine is a good brand? I'll check them out.

Alpine is an excellent brand. Sony is also good, as is some of the higher end Polk stuff.

The muffler: What does replacing the muffler involve? Would I have to have that installed by a mechanic if I bought the part off Ebay? I've never worked on a car before but I'm hoping to learn some things.

Not much to replacing the muffler, unless your exhaust is really rusty. Taking the original exhaust system off will be the most difficult part because it's probably stuck on pretty good after all these years. It's MUCH easier to replace the exhaust if you can get the car a few feet off the ground on a lift. There will just be some bolts that are probably rusted in to break loose at the back of the engine. Replace the entire exhaust system, not just the muffler. Or at least from the catalytic converters back, depending on if you need to get your car smogged or not.. You've probably seen things saying "cat back exhaust"...that's the one that goes on after the catalytic converter.

Cold air intake: I've heard good things about these...basically it just extends the air filter to outside the engine compartment right? And same thing as the muffler---is that a relatively easy installation for someone who hasn't done this before?

Cold air intake is a VERY, very easy install. About 10 minutes. You basically just replace the airbox that's in your car with a less restrictive one. Pop the hood on your car and look at the airbox...it's just in there with some clips. Look for one without a pre-oiled filter as those may kick codes if lubricant gets sucked into the engine.

Motor mounts: Yes everything else is up to date timing belt etc the cars been very well maintained. I didn't know the motor mounts were that crucial though...though I guess that makes sense when you think about it. It's just stupid that you have to pay that much money for a set of rubber washers...it's all labor.

Yeah, probably is the motor mounts unfortunately, if everything else has been done. That's one of those things you can almost consider maintenance...let someone else do it because I hear it's a pain to do.

Thanks guys!!!!

EDIT: For the intake, I guess I'd be looking at something like this? What do you think? And I have no idea on exhaust...I want a throatier sound but I don't want my car to sound obnoxious. And to clarify, am I just looking at a new muffler, or new piping as well? Thanks.

Thanks!

Some things:

1. I'm going to Bestbuy a little later to browse some speakers and decks...Circuitcity doesn't carry Alpine as far as I can tell. Also, how is Pioneer as a brand? And I know to get at least 3 way speakers...but is there any advantage to going 4 way? Some of them aren't anymore expensive than the 3 way ones, and those that are aren't ouragious...

2. You said to replace the entire exhaust system...that would be pretty costly(I think?). What would be the advantage of doing that versus just new "cat back" exhaust system and muffler?

3. She's sitting in the garage right now...I think I'll go out and look at that whole air intake...thing. And you said I shouldn't really pay a whole lot of attention to this upgrade? I mean I'm seeing Toyota and AEM air intakes selling new for almost 150 bucks and more....seems strange that the ones on Ebay are between 30 and 50 dollars.

Thanks again haha...

EDIT: And a professional tint job was mentioned...I hadn't even thought of that. That's definitely not a necessity, but if that's not expensive I may have to look into it.

Thanks!

Some things:

1. I'm going to Bestbuy a little later to browse some speakers and decks...Circuitcity doesn't carry Alpine as far as I can tell. Also, how is Pioneer as a brand? And I know to get at least 3 way speakers...but is there any advantage to going 4 way? Some of them aren't anymore expensive than the 3 way ones, and those that are aren't ouragious...

2. You said to replace the entire exhaust system...that would be pretty costly(I think?). What would be the advantage of doing that versus just new "cat back" exhaust system and muffler?

3. She's sitting in the garage right now...I think I'll go out and look at that whole air intake...thing. And you said I shouldn't really pay a whole lot of attention to this upgrade? I mean I'm seeing Toyota and AEM air intakes selling new for almost 150 bucks and more....seems strange that the ones on Ebay are between 30 and 50 dollars.

Thanks again haha...

EDIT: And a professional tint job was mentioned...I hadn't even thought of that. That's definitely not a necessity, but if that's not expensive I may have to look into it.

1.) Pioneer is just okay as a brand...until you get to their high-end stuff, which is excellent.

a. I'm a terrible person to ask about speakers (pretty much tone-deaf, unfortunately!).

2.) I meant almost the entire exhaust, as in not just the muffler. Larger pipes have less restriction, as does a high flow muffler. You can probably replace just the parts after the catalytic converter and get the results you're looking for. I'm guessing $300-500 for a Camry exhaust. I'm not sure who would sell exhaust for a car that old, but try HKS or TRD. If you don't have cats, it's also less restrictive...but won't pass smog and is not quite legal... In your case, because you have a naturally aspirated car, the exhaust won't give you a lot more power (5 hp, maybe).

3.) The intake is a cheap upgrade, but it's not going to give you major results. You may get a little better mileage, a little bit more power, and kind of a cool sucking sound in the engine, but that's about it.

4.) A professional tint job always makes the car look nice. Spend the money for the better tint as it lasts longer without getting purple like the cheap stuff. Pricing will range from about $150-400 for a good job.

Have fun shopping! Check www.crutchfield.com also on the stereo.

Ok so update.

1. We went to Bestbuy and...I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the Alpine speakers. However I did fall in love with the Alpine decks, they had much better layouts than the others. I think for the speakers I liked the Pioneers...it was strange though I think half the 2-way speakers sounded better than the 3-way ones....oh well at least I know which deck I want. That's a start.

2. I was looking under the car, and I'm a little confused as to which is the catalytic converter. There is a pipe that goes from the engine, and that goes into a large tube, than there is another pipe that goes to another tube, than the pipe from that goes to the muffler. If the first one is the catalytic converter, or vice versa, what is the second large tube? That's a lot of piping if I go for the whole cat back exhaust thing.

3. I was looking at the air filter as well...as I understand it, the whole "cold air intake" thing is just to route a pipe outside of the engine compartment, and maybe put it in front of the radiator? But I'm not sure how that would work. There's really not any clearance between the hood and the radiator/metal part of the car. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Ok so update.

2. I was looking under the car, and I'm a little confused as to which is the catalytic converter. There is a pipe that goes from the engine, and that goes into a large tube, than there is another pipe that goes to another tube, than the pipe from that goes to the muffler. If the first one is the catalytic converter, or vice versa, what is the second large tube? That's a lot of piping if I go for the whole cat back exhaust thing.

3. I was looking at the air filter as well...as I understand it, the whole "cold air intake" thing is just to route a pipe outside of the engine compartment, and maybe put it in front of the radiator? But I'm not sure how that would work. There's really not any clearance between the hood and the radiator/metal part of the car. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. Cat is the first one.

3. Most of "cold air intakes" are not actually very cold. They jus are less restrictive. And routes to a "colder" (but not always) place of the engine compartment.

Yeah, you better change those mounts. My car has four (well it's actually 1 engine mount and 3 transmission mounts, but they all are holding engine+transmission). Its not to hard to change 3 of them - front, left and right mounts. But the rear mount is a real pain in the a**.

1. I can see...one engine mount. It's the one on top that attaches to the passenger side of the car. The rubber looks pretty beat up. Would it be beneficial to replace this one, and maybe the other two easy ones, and not the back one? I know it's kind of a stretch, but I wasn't looking to blow a lot of money on this, especially when the entire price is pretty much labor.

2. I was looking under the hood again at that air filter...I guess I know how to take it out now. Just those 4 small clips. But I was also browsing youtube and found some videos of people performing this mod on their Camry's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dr5Gsootjr0

If that's what you guys are suggesting I do, I love it. It seems so simple. But some questions:

2a: Isn't there some sort of O2 sensor or something in the air filter or pipe? What becomes of that?

2b: Now that there isn't a heat shield around the air filter, won't the air entering this be even WARMER, which would be bad for the engine, performance, and mpg?

2c: Some people are saying using some sort of...KnN air filter inside the stock housing would be a better option than this. What do you think?

2d: Would this be any worse than springing for one of the actual pipes on ebay? The filter would be in the same place, it would just be connected to a metal pipe instead of the...well whatever material the stock one is.

2e: Would this sort of mod lead to the engine running lean, or would the onboard computer make up for the increased air flow?

3. Unrelated to the intake, I'm having some trouble finding a cat back exhaust system for my car. NAPA autoparts has the closest thing I can find...I mean it is a cat back exhaust system...but it doesn't tell me the how thick the piping is, only that it will fit my car. Unless you guys have some idea where I could find this, I may just have to buy one of the performance mufflers and stick it on the stock pipes. I was looking under the car at this as well...and you guys were right, the place where the pipe and the muffler meats is definitely rusting. Not rusting as in it's weak just rusting as in...well it'll be fun trying to get that old muffler off.

Sorry for these long posts....I'm just very new to this, and pretty excited as well. Haha thanks so much you guys.

EDIT: Ok, another thing. What's the best way to sort of...wipe down the top of the engine? It's getting pretty tarnished...I'm not talking about polishing or going real in depth with this, just sort of wiping down parts of the motor. Thanks.

You should just replace all of the motor mounts and get it over with. Then you won't have to mess with that last one at a later date.

That second video is perfect...see how easy it is? Can you hear the difference? No O2 sensor to be concerned about. Seriously, an intake is about the easiest thing you can possibly do. And it's not going to affect if the engine runs lean or not. Additionally, I think your car is OBD1, so it's much easier to modify without kicking codes.

Like B-R-T said, the "cold" part really isn't the point...the reason you add an intake is for more airflow with a high flow filter and larger pipe. The best way is to get the whole assembly, but you can do it as simply as cutting holes in the stock airbox and using a K&N filter instead of the standard Toyota one. I've done it both ways and noticed much better results with the whole kit. You can probably find a used intake on eBay for a decent price. Just replace the filter element with a fresh one and you'll be all set.

Get online for the exhaust. Look for tuners that specialize in Japanese cars...some of the big ones are Stillen, Rod Millen, HKS, TRD. Don't bother buying new pipes unless they're a wider diameter than what you currently have.

How clean do you want the engine to be? You could just wipe off the cover with a cloth (wait until it cools down). Or you could seriously detail it. Here's a how-to link for you: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html

Do NOT put any "CHIP" on your car. It will make the "check engine" light come on and drive you crazy. Your O2 sensor controls the air-fuel mix, so if it thinks a chip is making your car run richer, the sensor will just compensate for it, so leave it alone. Don't use any of these "leaf blower" turbo's either, they are junk.

Ok.. I just gotta comment this guy..

Since when "O2 sensor controls the air-fuel mix"?!

A/F mixture is controlled ONLY by ECU. Yes, ECU uses O2 signal (which is 0.5V = stoich, anything lower - ritch, anything higher till 1V - lean for narrow band) for mixture correction, but it is not using it 100% of a time. One of the examples when engine is running only from a fuel map is when ECU is on the Warm-up, or when the coolant temp is lower then operating temp. Temperature signal for ECU is comming from a temp sensor which is a simple thermistor (resistor with variable impedance, which changes according to temperature it is in, lower imp - higher temp).

The thing you are calling "CHIP" is actualy a resistor. When you put it on a wire from coolant temp sensor to ECU, ECU will "think" that engine is not in operating temperature, so it will keep enriching mixture and ignoring O2 sensor.

Actually I never used this crap, because I'm using programmable standalone ECU.

Engine mounts: try to move the engine with your hand and you will see which mount is bad. You can try to change the worst one. You dont have to change all of them if some of them are good.

Intake: 2a. O2 is inside the exhaust pipe, before (and sometimes another one after, if two O2s are used) the cat. Although there should be a breather hose going form valve cover to your intake. You can either put a breather filter on the breather outlet on the valve cover, or you can leave it open and just hangin (although it will spill some oil occasionally). Another option is to get an oil catch tank from ebay.

2b. Yes, thats why you should route it in to a colder place.

The best way to do it: Aluminum pipe with least sharp turns as possible routed to a really cold place (like in front of a radiator), and the pipe should be routed away from hot engine parts. Aluminum - because it is light and it transfers heat very good. Not like plastic or rubber - when they get hot, they stays hot. Aluminum cools down faster.

Anyway, dont expect too much from air intake. Actually I doubt that you will feel any change. Unless your air filter is clogged now.

Ok, so how much money are you going to spend on your car?

And.. is it automatic?

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delayed response...school and such.

Ok.

1. Yes the car is an Automatic...unfortunately.

2. How much will I be spending? Let's see...

Decent Set of 4-way Pioneer Front Speakers $70

Alpine Deck that I picked out.. $200

Weapon R Dragon Intake(heard these are good?) $153

Still undecided on muffler.... $??

Would love to look into the engine detailing/degreasing $??

Some new interior mats from ebay.. $??

And plus whatever else I can think of...

3. I'd like to ask about that Dragon Intake though...I mean I've heard good things...is that what I'm supposed to be looking at? AEM doesn't have any for the 4 cyl Camry, and Injen is outragious. There's probably a ton of other names out there but those are some of the main ones I've come across....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93...sspagenameZWD1V

+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camry-Celic...sspagenameZWD1V

+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-S...sspagenameZWDVW (you can get a cheaper one, not "racing")

+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SWS-REV...1QQcmdZViewItem

+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-99-BUG-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

+

A lot of work and some more parts maybe. Like a clutch master cylinder, shifter cables, etc..

But it's worth it..

Automatic takes all the joy from driving.. You dont feel all the torque and HP your car has..

Although it will cost you a lot of money and time. Besides, you need to have a lot of tools and to be able to work from under the car.

Actually I think it would be better for you to sell this car and get a celica with manual tranny.

You can sell your car for about $4000 - $4500 and get a celica for about $2500 so you will have ~$2000 for upgrades. Now thats a project ;)

But its always your choice..

The last link isn't working....and would a Celica be considered a sports car? The only reason I'm not buying the Pontiac Firebird Formula down the street(they only want $1500) is because my parents won't pay the car insurance for it. It's ridiculous how much more they charge for a car that has two doors, or a V8 engine. But I don't really have much choice with that right now...

Also, remember I'm brand new to this whole car thing...I'd love to get into working on cars, but I think replacing the whole transmissiong would be...well a little over my head right now. Not saying I won't consider that for a summer project...we'll have to see. I do agree though, automatic isn't any fun.

As for getting a Celica for $2500...haha do you have a link or something? I'm finding that kind of hard to believe...or any other cars you'd recommend?

I know this may be the wrong forum to say this, but I'm absolutely in love with the Datsun Z's and the Nissan Z's. Well..all the Z's besides the 350Z. I love the 240's, the 260's, the 280's, and the earlier and later 300's. So if I can find one of those for a nice price, even one that's moderately beat up, I'm going to jump on it. Of course that would definitely be considered a sports car...so I might not be able to drive it for a little while in which case the unmodified Camry would be my main ride. I have seen a sort of...beat ~85 300ZX for sale, so I'm going to have to inquire about that.

But in the meantime I guess the Camry is my main focus...but I really am open to any car recommendations. I have roughly $1800 on me at the moment, not including the price I'd get from selling the Camry if it comes to that. I LOVE going around old and junk car lots and seeing what they have...so honestly anything you can think of that would be a good car.

Thanks!!

If you want to get to this car thing I suggest you to get yourself a Civic. Because they can be modified very easily and internet is stuffed with mods for them. But I don't like civics, because its not fun, when its to easy <_< And I love Toyotas :lol:

I dont like Nissans too much, so I cant tell you much about them..

About a Pontiac.. Engine specs kinda makes me laugh..

one example:

1988-1992: L03 5.0L V8, 170 hp and 255 ft·lbff

My 1.3L engine is making 180hp with stock internals.. And right now I'm looking for a forged ones with them I will squeeze about 250hps or more..

That link isn't responding either...haha...

EDIT: And eh I saw a nice pair of mats on Ebay for like 20 bucks...I'd rather go cheaper when I can. And I'll keep looking around for cars. Is there a certain model year Celica you guys like? I really hated the look of the newest ones before Toyota stopped them. Other than that though...eh.

EDIT: And I'm definitely NOT getting a Civic. Haha. Sorry.

Celicas that I like : fourth generation 86-89 (the oldies), fifth generation 90-93 (you should get this one, because it is cheap enough, but it's considered good) and sixth gen 94-99 (I like those. One of those will be my next project car. If you have enought money, thats car for you). The seven genaration was a really ugly car.. But it wasnt the last celica. Last celica is Scion tC.

I dont like civics either.. :lol:

If you like Celicas you can check MR2s too. The MK2 or the second generation 89-99. It has its engine in the rear and RWD. It's a fun car. But turbo version is not for inexperienced driver..

Wow. Completely disregarding everything we just talked about for a minute.

Idea.

Body Kit!

Body kit. Paint job. I don't know much much a paint job costs or hard those body kits are to install...maybe I'd have to get that done...but I'm in love with how that Camry looks. Wow.

EDIT: Ok that's stupid...I'd be paying for that, for the paint, for the new lights, for the manual transmission, for the radio, for the speakers, for the intake, for the exhaust, for the tint job. That'd be one hot car, but I'd be one broke teenager...

EDIT: Why the heck won't that link work...anyway it's the "Spyder Body Kit" for a 92-96 Camry.

EDIT: Here let's see if this works...

BW_92CAMF.jpg

BW_92CAMR.jpg

EDIT: Plus wheels...

One note on the last 3 or 4 posts: if you're responsible for paying the insurance, you probably want to stick with the Camry, at least for a few years. There's several factors that insurance companies jack up the rates for: driver age, 2 door car, 2 seater car, turbo cars, convertibles, and any engine over a 4 cylinder. Check the rate difference between an MR2 and a Camry...it's huge.

That being said, the MR2s rock! (as do the Supras in pretty much any model year). The quickest Celica would be the GT-S model, because it has an awesome Toyota/Yamaha VVTi-L motor that's lots of fun. Another one to look for would be one of the models from the early 90's, I think it was also a GT-S, but it was a hatchback, AWD model with a hood scoop, and an awesome 10 speaker factory stero. If you could find a nice Z car, the 280Z and older are a cool, retro model. You could also look for a late 80's RX-7, a 92-93 range 3000GT (base or SL), a 1988 or newer Honda Prelude (Si is best), or an early 90's 240SX. The 240SX is an awesome drift car if you're into that. You may also be able to find an early Lexus SC300 with higher miles for a decent price. The SC300 and Supra are surprisingly similar.

Mmm...I'm in love with the 280Z's and 280ZX's. Also I think I saw a white 300ZX up for sale around here, so I may have to look into that. For the Preludes...I like the newer ones...those can be expensive though. The 3000GT's are nice cars in my opinion...I don't know much about them though. And I have no idea what a 240SX is.....but I do know what an RX-7 is. I guess I'll have to wait awhile on most of these cars though...

How much do you think it would cost for a good paint job? Haha this is all theoretical...you know I'm not going to even do half of this stuff...