Hesitation In Salara V6

Boater61

Like many other Solara owners, I've had a hesitaion problem on my '05 V6, Toyota knows about it. All they have to do is read the National Highway Safety Bureau web site. The dealers know about it. They've gotten many cpmplaints. But nothing has really happened to remedy the situation. Re-flashing the computer hasn't worked. Public pressure needs yo be placed on Toyota. So any of you who've had the same problem on your "drive by wire" late model V6 Camry or Solara, post here so that Toyota can see the extend of the dissatisfaction and maybe come up with a remedy. And, if any of you have found a solution, even in an after-markert chip, please post the"how and where" so we can find it. Thanks.

What do you mean by "hesitation?" When you first start moving?

What I mean is that when you slow down, such as for a Yield sign, and then accelerate, there's a second or two in which nothing seems to happen. Then the transmission seems to kick in and the car accelerates hard. Sometimes, when starting from a standstill, the car doen't move and then kicks in hard. By the way, I grew up in the automotive repair business and was even a driver-education teacher, part time, for over twenty five years. When I was teaching, subjects other than driver ed. (that was just an additional job), I would drive about 30,000 miles a year, on average. Now that I'm retired, sort of, I only drive about 20,000 miles a year. So, I do know how a car should respond. Toyota has issued a TSB to deal with this problem for 2004 and up Camrays and Solaras. I'm now trying to get then to reprogram the computer in my car. So far, no luck. P.S. This past weekend my car refused to start. The battery had a shorted cell, in a little over 2 years since new.

Have you had the TSB done yet? If your dealer won't do it, try another dealer. You could also try calling Toyota corporate and opening a case with them: 800-331-4331.

update: TSB done this morning. Took about an hour and a half. Could feel the difference right away. Now I've got to get used to the smooth pull-out. Seems Toyota got it right this time. Time will tell. But I still think it's kind of rotten of them not to do the download unless the consumer complains over and over. I had to check AllData myself and convince the service writer that my car was part of the group eligible for the download. P.S. It's part of the 8 year/ 80k mile national anti-pollution warranty so there was no charge for it. If you've got a hesitation problem, check it out. The TSB was from June 2005 and focussed on hesitation/delayed shifting.

Congrats on the fix! I'm glad it worked out for you. I think the reason they don't fix it automatically is because it doesn't affect every car.

...as for me: I find that my standard "pedal to the metal" method of acceleration eliminates any hesitation! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Congrats on the fix! I'm glad it worked out for you. I think the reason they don't fix it automatically is because it doesn't affect every car.

...as for me: I find that my standard "pedal to the metal" method of acceleration eliminates any hesitation! :D

Update: I've bypassed the smaller opening to the air intake as explained on the ToyotaNation web site. Along with the reprogramming that Toyota did, the car definitely has better, smoother pick-up now. So, try it; you've got nothing to lose.

• 5 months later...
update: TSB done this morning. Took about an hour and a half. Could feel the difference right away. Now I've got to get used to the smooth pull-out. Seems Toyota got it right this time. Time will tell. But I still think it's kind of rotten of them not to do the download unless the consumer complains over and over. I had to check AllData myself and convince the service writer that my car was part of the group eligible for the download. P.S. It's part of the 8 year/ 80k mile national anti-pollution warranty so there was no charge for it. If you've got a hesitation problem, check it out. The TSB was from June 2005 and focussed on hesitation/delayed shifting.

Was there a charge for this service seeing as it's a model/manufacturer problem? What do I ask for when I call the service department in case they act like they don't know what this issue is about?