2022 hybrid highlander performance.

larry m

2022 hybrid highland performance, I like the idea of a hybrid BUT, not sure of the acceleration. I would like to hear what current owners thoughts. Thank you!!!

• 4 weeks later...

A hybrid (in general) accelerates better in the city, because the wheels are powered by the electric motors at low speeds, which provide instant torque. However, handling in turns is heavier, because of the extra weight.

On the highway, the non-hybrid is lighter and feels peppier. Highway gas mileage is slightly better (0.5MPG real world) on the Gen3 non-hybrid, because of the lower weight.

Also look at fueleconomy.org for the real world MPG. It may be a lot worse than EPA numbers claim.

• 2 weeks later...

We own a 21 Hybrid now approaching 18,000 miles. I would say that the city driving is as good as a regular vehicle. Highway you'll notice the acceleration may not be what you are accustomed to, but is an acceptable trade-off for the difference in fuel economy (especially at $5 a gallon!!) Real world for us is an average MPG in the 33 - 37 range depending on winter/summer, highway/city etc, basically all of the factors that affect everyone. The hybrid system works great for us.