6.1 Nav Override

Navigation Override  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should Toyota offer the Override again for free?

• If they don't, they've lost a customer.
    • Damn straight!
    • I don't care.
    • No, this system is safer.

Hi all-

I have been so frustrated with the new Navigation system on the 2007 models that I started a website so we can be counted to convince Toyota to put the override back into the Navigation system. If you'd like to be counted, please visit www.ToyotaOverride.com .

Toyota Nav

Thanks for the post...the user-unfriendly nav system is a source of great irritation to many. It seems to me that just the annoying disclaimer screen at startup should be enough to take Toyota off the hook for any potential liability from people using nav and driving. For a company that is otherwise really great, this is a glaring black mark against Toyota.

The first two things I do everytime I get into my GS350 are to turn off the VSC (10 seconds holding the button down...and you have to be stopped or reversing) and to overide the Navigation so I can use it for even very simple, safe things while on the road. For example, I can't even program an alternate route if I'm caught in a traffic jam and moving at 5 mph. It should be my choice as to whether or not I can use the feature while driving, not a big brother type thing. It's right up there with seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws: I always wear my seatbelt, I always wear my helmet...but I don't think it should be mandated by someone else.

Okay, I'm going to stop now before I start ranting even more...this Nav thing really irritates me.

• 1 year later...

If for some reason you have the DVD that will not let you use that very easy trick. There is a certain file (LOADING.kwi ) that is on the new DVD that has been changed. You will need to copy the old DVD to your computer, then copy the new DVD (because of the new maps) to your computer get ( LOADING.kwi ) which lets you get to the service menu. Then find ( LOADING.kwi ) in the new DVD and replace it. Once that is done copy the new DVD to a Dual layer DVD and then put it in the car. You will then have to take the Negative battery terminal off so that you will ERASE the mem from the unit. Once you wait at-least 5 to 10 mins you will connect it back and then the DVD will load the OLD file you copied to the mem of the unit and you will have the service menu back.

95braves@comcast.net

Very easy to do and should take about 20 mins to do. No cutting of wires or removing the head unit.

Also found out that if you do remove the head unit and you get a xm radio mod for it you can install the xm mod under the head-unit without putting it in the rear. And the install takes less than 30 mins from start to finish. If any one lives in the Harrisburg, PA area i can do this install as well as fix the disk.

Edited by braves95

Nope...it doesn't work on the 2008 models. More than just the loading file has changed, so burning a disc with the old Loading.kwi file isn't that easy this time around...worked great on the 2007 GS, but not on the 2008. Trust me, I've burned several discs with different configurations...no luck.

However, I've since fixed it with the installation of a switch between the speed sensor and the nav system...flick the switch, the speed sensor stops sending info to the nav unit, the car thinks it's stopped, and everything works. Flick the switch again, and everything goes back to normal. Yay!