Inerior lighting

Naz

• 3 weeks later...
Is it the fuse or the lights that are the problem?

I don't think its the fuse because when i asked my mechanic he said that it was the bulb itself. I saw some vids online for other cars dash/gear selctor removal and it seemed pretty painless, they used screw drivers with cloth covering the tip to pry open the covers then replaced the bulbs. Slyvania has a listing of bulbs under "General purpose dash" that seem to be the ones that would be lighting up the gear selector and climate control. I was going to try and ask my dealer but I know that they charge an arm and a leg even with my employee discount so I wanted to see if I could do it myself.

PERFECT, when i tackle the job i'll let u know how it turns out.

one other thing, what about the climate contorl knobs? As far as i remember i can just pull on them and they come off but are the bulbs in easy access if i just pull the knobs off?

Couldn't find anything at all, sorry. If I still had my Camry, I'd take it apart and check for you...but I'm guessing you're probably right.

When i took of the knobs for the climate control theres nothing behind them but a white wall and the actual plastic stick that the knob goes on. There were two screws on the white wall, i took them off but it didnt change anything, i tried for a while to find a way to take off the white plastic or just get access to something but no luck, i'll have to go through my fuses and see which one is fused.

As for the gear selector, on the instructions posted it points to 4 places to pull on to open up the cover for the gear selector, but i tried as hard as i could and that cover would not even budge. but i'll try again when i hav more time to spend.

A theory of mine is that the bulb for the gear selector and the climate control might be connected. For example if my dome light is fused my clock also goes out since they run on the same fuse. So in theory if my climate control runs through the same fuse for my gear selector light then if i replace that bulb it should fix the light for the climate control too right?

They might be connected, but I doubt it...give it a shot, and let me know how it goes. It seems like someone told me a long time ago that many of the knobs and radio buttons are an LED or fiber optic cables or something a else that seemed very odd.