Driving the Prius in the mountains

Digisnor

Anyone have experience with driving a Prius in the mountains? I'm especially interested in how it drives on long, steep climbs. What happens if the battery runs low and the petrol engine has to work on its own, can it handle the weight of the car, things like that.

Thanks!

Ferjo

well, it is a 1.5, so the petrol engine should cope fine...

But I imagine, the Prius would be great at mountains - simply because the electric engine can provide full torque instantly and constantly - allowing you to pull up large climbs with relative ease.

well, it is a 1.5, so the petrol engine should cope fine...

But I imagine, the Prius would be great at mountains - simply because the electric engine can provide full torque instantly and constantly - allowing you to pull up large climbs with relative ease.

It should be pretty much like driving an Echo in the mountains...not terribly powerful, but adequate.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

We drive our 2006 Prius from Anaheim, CA to Mammoth lakes, in the Eastern Sierras. It's 340 mile drive, to an altitude of over 8500'. The longest climb is 4000', up the Sherwin grade. Generally the traction battery is pretty well used up at the top, but the ICE pulls the car up pretty well. It's working hard, but no problem.

• 9 months later...

I've driven my 06 Prius from downtown Denver at 5K' up over Loveland Pass at 12K' at normal speeds, which took just over an hour. Felt like any other car pulling uphill. So no worries. Just make sure you have good tires if it's going to be wet or icy.

Peter