Oil Changes

Papageno

<_<  Does anyone here know when to get an oil change on the 4runners?  The maintenance schedule says 5,000, but it just seems too good to be true.....?

5,000 miles is okay, assuming you're not in a really harsh climate (ie., extremely hot, dusty, etc.)

If you're a low mileage driver, you need to follow a schedule of months instead of miles...I think it's 5 months for an oil change.

5K is probably OK--but you might want to try a semi-synthetic like Mobil Drive Clean 5000 or 7500. I use the 7500 and my car runs great with it, and it is an extended interval oil.

<_<  Does anyone here know when to get an oil change on the 4runners?  The maintenance schedule says 5,000, but it just seems too good to be true.....?

• 1 month later...

5k should be OK if you do mostly highway driving. If you're in a lot of stop and go traffic then 3k would probably be a better choice.

Seriously, guys...5k with regular oil is ok unless you're doing stuff like the Baja 500 every morning on the way to work. If you read the manual, there's even options for extended mileage service intervaks like 7500 miles. Toyota wouldn't recommend anything that will damage the car. They've got a reputation to maintain, after all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

5K - been doing 5K (with filter) since 1975 and has always worked well - uncle was a mechanic and used the 5K interval - easy to keep track since the thousand place is always 0 or 5 for the change - however, prefer new vehicles get first change at 1,500 to 2,000 and then 5K - company purchases about $12M in vehicles each year and all are placed on the 5K interval

IMHO - 3K is a waste unless you're really in the SEVERE usage described in the owner's manual - 7.5K or 10K are risky when you consider the money saved Vs engine/vehicle replacement costs

On the 7500 or 10000 mile oil change interval note...have you ever looked at BMW maintenance schedule? It seems to be 15,000 miles or one year for an LOF. That seems a tad risky to me. Perhaps it's done because BMW advertises free maintenance with purchase?

• 6 months later...
<_< Does anyone here know when to get an oil change on the 4runners? The maintenance schedule says 5,000, but it just seems too good to be true.....?

====

If you choose to use Amsoil, a full synthetic, you can change your oil every year or 25,000 miles, but you need to change out the Amsoil oil filter every six months or 12,500 miles.

ADDITION: AS OF Jan 07 Amsoil just came out with a full flow oil filter certified for one year changes. So now one can change oil and filter just once a year without voiding the warrantee..

If you use Amsoil with the aircraft adapter filtration system you can run the vehicle without ever changing oil. You just change the full flow filter every six months and the aircraft bypass filter once a year and top off with new Amsoil.

With Amsoil's second option I usually run my vehicles about 400,000 miles without oil change and no engine maintenance other than timing belts, other belts & hoses as needed. Oh, and I use the K&N air filter which needs to be cleaned every 100,000 miles and is good for 500,000 miles. The K&N air filters are sold at Toyota Dealerships.

Pipsqueak

Oh, it just occured to me that some well intentioned uninformed person may challenge this application by saying it would void the warrantee.

NOPE

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1974 ANY aftermarket application can be used as long as it meets OR exceeds OEM, and that you follow the aftermarket producers recommendations. It is ILLEGAL to void the warrantee and the dealership can be sued. IF any dealership service person does tell you differently you can tell in an instant that he is lying by telling him if that is true put it down in writing, sign and date it. He won't because he knows that he will not only loose his job, Amsoil will sue the dealership.

As far as wear on the engine, I had a previous vehicle with 380,000 miles on it and it tested out with 35,000 miles equivalent wear with compression testing. Not too bad.

My challenge for our 2005 Highlander is finding a place to mount the aircraft bypass filter. May have to mount it near the gas tank and run the hoses up to the engine. The design engineers don't leave much space for anything these days. I will soon have the transmission oil changed out for Amsoil full synthetic trans oil. Am getting an additional 3+ miles to the gallon now and with the synthetic tranny oil should get another 1-3 more MPG.

• 1 year later...