Synthetic oil

Saraa12

I got a brand new 2011 corolla S about 6 months ago ^ i was told by Toyota i don't need an oil change until i reach 10,000 miles because i have synthetic oil. But than my friend got synthetic oil in her Nissan Altima and they told her you need oil changes every 3,000 miles. So right now i'm at 7,950, and every time i go to service at Toyota, they tell me i don't need it yet. Any suggestions?

10K miles seems about right. The days of the 3K mile oil changes are long gone with the advent of better additives in oil and better technology in engine developement. If you tend to drive in more stop and go traffic or short distances, I would change the oil more often. If you drive more highway miles then 10K will be just fine.

I agree with humanioid.

3000 miles oil change intervals are no longer the normal routine as regular non synthetic oil can easily last to 5000 miles. That's with stop and go/city driving - but if most of your miles come from the highway - the oil quality can last a little more longer.

I also agree with earlier posters. Depending on your driving habits you might want to change the oil a little earlier than 10k. I would follow the intervals listed in your owner's manual. And keep the receipts so you have proof of oil changes and other service when you go to sell the car. This will help your resale value. Also following the owner's manual will ensure that your warranty stays valid. That is important. Sometimes these engines can collect sludge and carbon residue if the oil is not changed regularly.

• 4 months later...

I had the same concern about my new Corolla S and Prius so I asked the master toyota tech at my local dealer if it was okay to change the break in oil at 5 rather than 10K miles. He had recently returned from school and they were taught that unless your car is subject to extreme use - such as a taxi in NYC- then don't change it early. It seems that changing synthetic oil too early can lead to a teflon build up which isn't good. As the previous replies properly note, new synthetic oil is so good it doesn't break down like older oil and simply doesn't need changing more than stated in the schedule. So, save your money!