Romoving drive shafts

Pormoonman

I'm in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2005 Corolla S. I cannot seem to be able to remove either drive shaft from the transmission. The out side ends have been removed from the the hubs. I've tried pry bars and hammering but neither one wants to budge out of the transmission. I've tried rotating each shaft so I can pry all the the way around. I'm in the process of buying a tool shaped like the letter 'C' that is connected to a slide hammer but I don't see why the tool would work any better. Is there a trick that anyone knows to do this job?

• 1 year later...

My 2006 and 2007 are fine so far but on my 1993 a slide hammer became my new best friend when I had to pop the axles out. I can't believe that there is anything internal to the transaxle to disconnect. Doesn't the manual say to just pop them out? I do think that a hefty-weight slide hammer would be superior to prying/levering them out.

PHM
-------

I'm in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2005 Corolla S. I cannot seem to be able to remove either drive shaft from the transmission. The out side ends have been removed from the the hubs. I've tried pry bars and hammering but neither one wants to budge out of the transmission. I've tried rotating each shaft so I can pry all the the way around. I'm in the process of buying a tool shaped like the letter 'C' that is connected to a slide hammer but I don't see why the tool would work any better. Is there a trick that anyone knows to do this job?