Hilux RN85 - 22r carbi issue

Hi & Help,

When I'm driving, my 1995 Toyota hilux 22r carbi (RN85) won't cut back to idle when I take my foot off the accelerator. It holds the high revs until I almost come to a stop at the traffic lights for example. It won't cut back to idle even if I depress the clutch or pump the brake. Please note it does cut back to idle when you rev the engine when stopped. The problem I'm having only happens when the vehicle is moving/ driving. Any idea as to what is wrong with my carbi and what I need to do to get it fixed.

Cheers.

• 5 years later...

This happened to me once. The fix is super easy- your carb is sticking a little. There is this stuff called Rusty's that is designed for carburetors and other similar parts with swivels or hinges, much like what's on your carburetor valves. (I bet WD-40 or other generic carb cleaners would work as well) just take your air filter off the top of the carb, and spray the **** out of the entire carb with Rusty's. That's it. Problem solved

Another thing to note- don't remove or disassemble the carb. Just get the filter and filter housing off the top so you can see the valves from above. Then spray it down really well, inside, and out. Make sure to put extra where the cable from your accelerator pedal attaches to the carb. When spraying it down with Rusty's, or whatever you decide to use, a good rule of thumb is that if you think you've used too much, you haven't used enough. Keep spraying all over the carb until you see it dripping down the side of your engine and puddling underneath the truck. Any excess that gets in your carb will burn up next time you start the truck. You have the 22r- this won't hurt it. That engine is tough.