Restoring fuel effeicency

ntanimo

On my Solara SLE V6 for the last 11 years I have been averaging 23.9 mpg in a challenging area like Los Angeles. I don't accelerate as though it is a race, nor do I brake the last minute. I have got accustomed to slow down at traffic lights to such an extend that by the time I arrive to the light the lights have changed or are about to change. This prevents me to come to a total stand still. Moving from total stand still requires the most fuel, so reduction of those situations and awareness of them helps the fuel economy. This also helps with brake pad wear. My pads on average last me 55000 miles.

At junctions I slow down to a crawl and then move on. I know that is illegal but in the 11 years here I have only been caught once . $200 ticket has been calculated in the 23.9 mpg.

I am not proposing driving through crossroads, but I am saying avoiding to come to a total standstill. Also I am not advocating disregard to the right of way of others in the junction.

This additionally also helps with brake pads wear. I am a very careful driver without being dangerous, which means I calculate and compensate for the morons I see every day.

I also use the cruise control where ever possible. This reduces un-uniform depression of the accelerator pedal, which contributes to fuel inefficiency.

i watched a program the other day about some guy who can double the mpg of any car.

It seems this guy recommend building up speed and then coasting... and keep repeating this action. it looked a pile of crap and dangerous, but it did work according to this avg tank mpg reading he doubled the mpg.

Some of the tricks were dangerous though and was quite irrisponsible like also turning his engine off when costing which is sheer stupidness.

Any car that cruises at 55-60 is going to get the most optimum MPG performance.

• 2 weeks later...

ntanimo,

There are so many variables involved in figuring one's MPG average that it's almost impossible to arrive at an accurate figure. A headwind will decrease your mileage a tailwind will increase it. If you're traveling on roads that require you to drive at speeds above 45mph then your mileage will decrease with every MPH you drive above that figure. Every pound of weight you put in your car will eat away at your mileage. That includes people as well as things you put in the trunk. You'll even get less mileage with a full tank of gas than you will when the tanks half empty. Running the air conditioner will cost you about one MPG. Even temperature and road conditions will have an effect. Everything from low tire pressure to a badly tuned engine can change the mileage you're used to seeing. If you're going to check your MPG average, try to keep everything as constant as possible. That's the only way you will come up with a figure that means anything.

The surest way I can think of to regain the mileage you got when your car was new is to stop the government from forcing oil companies to put ethanol in the gasoline they sell. There is simply less energy (B.T.U's) in ethanol than there is in gasoline, hence less miles per gallon. Think back, did your mileage seem to drop off around the time that questionable practice was initiated or did something else cause you to notice it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...