new supra

bluerolla22

• 2 years later...

all i know about the "new supra" is that right now most of the forums are saying its given a green light by toyota although it was a consept at last years car show here in chicago it called FT-HS. you can find more info just google it basicly it is 400hp hybrid it does 0-60 in the 4 sec range i belive and it has a lot of nice features.

Green Means Go (Fast): Toyota FT-HS reportedly coming in 2009

post-2747-1195246505_thumb.jpg

The June '07 print edition of Automobile casually drops a bit of a bombshell in page 30. They report that Toyota has given the FT-HS hybrid sports car the green light for production. You should remember the FT-HS concept from this year's Detroit Auto Show, where it was one of the most significant unveilings. The Calty-designed production version will make its debut in 2009. Essentially a successor to the Supra, the two-seater will leverage the automaker's Hybrid Synergy Drive and a to-be-determined gasoline engine (the concept utilized a 3.5-liter V6). Power and pricing are still a mystery, but the concept sported 400 horses and was designed to sell at a mid-level dollar amounts. If those numbers (or similar ones) carry through to production, you won't hear any complaints from us. If you've been waiting for a hybrid sports car, it looks as if Toyota's getting ready to give you exactly that.

Yes, I've seen that, but it still doesn't do anything for me. "hybrid" = quiet, smooth, boring. Great gas mileage, wouldn't mind driving one as a daily driver, but not as my fun car. Again, I REALLY hope it's not the next Supra. Lexus is building the LF-A (LF-1?) soon, and that's a lot more like it...500 hp or so...mmmm.....

actually from what i heard the rumor in the dealership i work is that the hybrid is not going to improve the milage of the car just the power of it and it would suck on gas milage so i donno i would say it has nice shape and evrything and well see what is going to look like and drive somday in the near future. About the lexus right now the Lexus IS-F is going to be released in the next month and it is a beast 8 gear car with 400+ hp not bad for a stock car :)

It will improve gas mileage to a certain extent, at least for city driving. All Toyota & Lexus hybrids will shut the gas engine off periodically when they are driven in town. The hybrid synergy system constantly monitors power requirements, and takes power from the engine or the electric motors as needed.

The FT-HS shape is okay...right now, it's a little too "boy racer" for me. Make it a little sleeker, more sophisticated, and less like a Celica, and it won't be too bad.

As for the IS-F: I've driven it, it's lovely. If it had 2 doors, I'd order one. Good power, nice exhaust note, excellent brakes. It actually won't be out until about January...Lexus hasn't even started production on it yet. The ones running around to shows are all pre-production models, not the finalized model.

• 1 month later...