2000 Celica manual transmission problem

BStaley

• 2 years later...

I also have that problem. I've had my clutch replaced when my oil pump went out and had to replace my entire engine! GT-S 6-speed. Also i would like to add ,does anybody know about the power boost that i used to get at 6000rpm? Now its gone .it never really worked rite on the new /used engine that replaced the original! I cant seem to find anyone who knows what im talking about,can someone please help me find whats wrong with my baby!! Feel free to hit me directly or pass it on to someone who mite know.gjenkinsjr34@yahoo.com thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hndsomdevl: you may need a turbo rebuild kit maybe a new turbine or bearings after every approx 60k miles a turbo MUST be rebuilt.... that is most likely why ur getting little to no boost...

BStaley: your syncros for 2nd and 3rd gear may be starting to go syncros can be replaced in the transmission... if you dont know what a syncronizer is in ur tranny, to keep it simple it basically helps you shift gears smoothly and they eventually wear down and need to be replaced...

hope this helped you both!

~Brandon

• 1 month later...

Hndsomdevl: It's not necessarily a power boost. The VVT-i and VVTL-i motors are specially equipped with Variable Valve Timing - Intelligence. That's what VVT-i stands for. The L in VVTL-i stands for Lifters. The boost you are referring to is the performance valve lifters at 6000 rpm. They really kick in at 3500 rpm. The camshaft also angles itself at the point too. The higher the rpm the larger the angle the camshaft is for power. So maybe you have a bad lifter or the angle actuator.