rjlem

How many Paseo Convertibles?

rjlem    0

I tried to search this topic and found nothing; I apologize in advance if I missed a previous post.

Does anyone out there know how many Paseo Convertibles were produced?

I checked with the customer relations line at Toyota and was told that they had no hard numbers what the split was between the 1997 coupes and convertibles. The woman I talked to talked to someone else who though the number was about 1,000. That sounds low to me. A person on the Toronto Paseo website though the number was closer to 10,000 (that sounds more likely to me).

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

rjlem    0

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn’t break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

If there are any other Paseo convertible owners out there, let me know where you are located. I would guess the majority of the convertibles would have been sold in California or Florida.

Leighcm    3
UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn't break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

If there are any other Paseo convertible owners out there, let me know where you are located. I would guess the majority of the convertibles would have been sold in California or Florida.

Hmm...not many, less even than Supras. Nice little car though.

• Like 1

bo3bg    0

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn't break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

I was told 1000, all of course in '97. All were basically hand-built by ASC in California. Mine is up to 35,000 miles here in Michigan. It's only out May through September. Looking for a back-up top to keep for when needed. Have you found any good lights for it? the headlight design is dim at best with high powered bulbs.

bo3bg    0

The 1,000 number is correct.

ASC (American Sunroof Company) was contracted to build the convertibles. Paseos were shipped to California where ASC cut off the roof and essentially rebuilt the car as a convertible adding a lot of strength to the chassis and body for rigidity.

Mine has 36K miles on it. It remains a very rigid body (no squeaks or rattles).

Even the local Toyota dealer didn't know what it was. Now it's a celebrity car when it goes in.

Headlights are horrible, even with 100W bulbs and relays. The lens design is abysmal. I continue to search for a euro style replacement lens, but have found nothing. Nowhere to put driving lights, so I rarely drive it at night. When I do I drive with the brights on. No one has ever flashed me back.

bo3bg    0

UPDATE

I received a reply from my online inquiry to Toyota regarding Paseo convertible production. They also said that Toyota didn’t break down the coupe / convertible split, but that according to their records, there were about 2700 total 1997 Paseos sold in the US.

I have a charcoal metalic Paseo with 36K miles. Great little car, lousy lights for night driving. If anyone knows where to get better lights ( I have 100W bulbs with relays - the lens design is bad) please let me know.

PaseoRagTop    0

I have a '97 convertible. Out of our four cars (Tacoma, Matrix and Honda CRV) the Paseo has become my favorite beater (several years ago replacing my very beat up 1984 Toyota Hilux pickup that my wife ironically titled "the babe magnet").

My wife and I have driven the Paseo lots over the years. The car's in pretty rough shape, 156k miles, faded paint, on it's second top, torque converter causing shaking at idle.

One day last year I saw somebody taking a cell phone photo of me driving along in it. I thought "WTF?" I did some homework and saw these are rare -- and unpopular. Made me think of the infamous Ford Edsel. Maybe in fifty years it will be worth.... $1,500 OBO. whoo hoo! ain't retiring early. (Edsel's, however, will fetch huge money)

PaseoRagTop    0

PS -- just last week I was at Toyota looking for a part for my Paseo. The part's guy came out to see the car to help understand what part I needed. When we got back inside he smiled and said "I've never seen a convertible Paseo before." And the part I wanted, relating to the top, was discontinued.

PaseoRagTop    0

FWIW.... My paseo convertible ASC (Automobile Specialty Company) ID in the door jamb has the number "00873" which would seem to indicate it is the 873rd convertible ASC made for Toyota. If other convertible Paseo owners report their ASC number, we could start to get an idea or confirmation or the production number range.