Cheap warranties, salvaged title...what do i do?!

yawns

Hi all,

So I need some advice as soon as anyone can possibly give it to me!

Here is my situation:

I am in the process of buying an 07 rav4 which was stolen and bought back by the insurance company before it was recovered. It was soon found with no damage--later this was confirmed by AAA (the insurance company it was under) and the current dealer's separate inspections. This car is beautiful and has only 17k miles on it. I want to find out if anyone has had or knows anyone who has had similar experience. Also, I am wondering what I can do in terms of a policy..how can I get one when the car was never damaged and in fact the carfax reflects this...the only reason for the salvaged title is the theft. If anyone has advice, please give it to me, I am quite in need of it!!!

Thanks y'all happy 09=]

Yana

The only reason you would want to buy this car is if you are going to drive it into the ground. A salvage title means the vehicle is automatically worth 1/2 price, and this would be true for your resale value in a few years also. If you decide to get a new car in the future, no dealer will want to take it as a trade-in, and those that agree to take it won't give you much for it.

A salvage title also stops some banks from lending on the vehicle, some extended warranties to be voided, and you may even have issues with your factory warranty. Unless you're getting that car for just a few thousand bucks, don't waste your time and money.

Thank you Toyota Guru! So just a follow up on another rav...KBB says that an 05 2wd L with 26k miles is worth 15k, does that sound about right to everyone/anyone?

Retail value? Yes, that's pretty close to right. It really depends on equipment, condition, color, Carfax history, etc. That's assuming you're buying it from a dealer who has done an inspection and reconditioning on it.

• 2 months later...
Thank you Toyota Guru! So just a follow up on another rav...KBB says that an 05 2wd L with 26k miles is worth 15k, does that sound about right to everyone/anyone?

Hey, i hope you got your rav four, i want to ask you, how much it was for the salvaged one, and where is it located, i'm in South Fl, Miami.

PM me at drfabt@gmail.com

Thanks,

Take car yourself

• 2 years later...

Just for future reference, if you buy a vehicle with a salvage title, even though you get it inspected and are able to get a clear title, insurance companies will only give you a very small amount it is is wrecked. I know this from experience.