Rough Starting/Early Idle

fitchsf88

Hello, I am new to the forums -- I own a 2007 Toyota Corolla S. I love the car, everything I could want in a vehicle, nothing I don't. However, I bought the car new May of 2007 (I am the original and only owner), and now have 30,000 miles on the odometer and have a question about how the vehicle starts.

When starting cold, most of the time, it starts right up (starts cold idle at 2000 rpm, than slowly moves down as the engine temp goes up). However, sometimes on a cold start, when I turn the key in the ignition, it will crank, seem like it's stalling (very fast) then rev back up to cold idle -- this whole process is very fast, and hard to describe -- but the vehicle has NEVER stalled. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them, or if this is standard for this model year/motor? (I have taken it to my dealer several times to have it looked at, and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it)

Also, when the motor is warmed up (fully warmed up=driving around town for more than 10 miles, or 10 minutes until temp is at normal operating temperature) and then shut down, starting the engine back up seems to yield a long cranking process before the engine finally turns over. Example: I leave the house to drive to the supermarket. By the time I get to the supermarket, the engine is hot and at normal operating temperature. I shut the engine off, and proceed into the grocery store. (Between) five to fifteen minutes later I will return to my vehicle, place the groceries in the trunk, and get into the drivers seat. Upon starting the engine up (which keep in mind, is still warm from my drive to the supermarket) the engine cranks for a while and sometimes starts "rough," meaning that the engine almost seems like it's a chore to start up. This puzzles me, because I would imagine that because the engine is already warm, it should be an easier start than from cold.

Has anybody else noticed this in their Corolla? Again, I have taken the vehicle to the dealer and had them note this several times (the vehicle has been performing this way since I bought it new), and they have never found any problems with my car/engine. Am I just super paranoid? Is this SOP on all Corollas' of the ninth generation? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to TOC USA!!!1

I may have a Matrix, but we have the same 1zz-fe motor.

With 30k miles on your Rolla, it sounds like your MAF sensor is a bit dirty.

MAF cleaning:

http://matrixowners.com/?showtopic=65513

Also for more ideas on maintaining and/or modifying your 9th gen corolla you can go here:

9thgencorolla.com

Note - there might be a TSB (technical service bulletin) about the hard starting issues with Corollas.

XR2003,

I appreciate your quick response to my post. However, I have just recently (at 27,000 miles) had the injection manifold flushed and cleaned by the dealer. Now, I am no mechanic (or technician, as they prefer to be called these days) so my question is this: are the MAF sensor and the injection manifold related? Are they the same? I honestly don't know.

Also keep in mind, this starting has been like this since I purchased the car (which is really why I would like to know if this is standard, being that this is my first Toyota/Corolla).

Thanks again.

XR2003,

I appreciate your quick response to my post. However, I have just recently (at 27,000 miles) had the injection manifold flushed and cleaned by the dealer. Now, I am no mechanic (or technician, as they prefer to be called these days) so my question is this: are the MAF sensor and the injection manifold related? Are they the same? I honestly don't know.

Also keep in mind, this starting has been like this since I purchased the car (which is really why I would like to know if this is standard, being that this is my first Toyota/Corolla).

Thanks again.

MAF is located near the air filter box:

mafstockintake7kd.jpg

injection manifold service? does that refer to the intake manifold which is the black plastic on the front of the engine?

Still - that is unrelated to the MAF sensor.

Hard starting condition:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/tsb/2005/TOYOTA/COROLLA

found this for you, contact the dealer and ask them if there is a TSB for this "hard starting" conditions on Corollas.

Hope you find the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading this thread again,

perhaps since it has doing that since you 1st got it, you might want to check the starter.

Also the 1zz-fe motor is known to have weird idle issues, so it may or may not be related.

I would suggest having the starter checked out 1st.

2nd - have the alternator diagnosed after the starter.

Hope you finally find the issue.

• 8 years later...

I have a 2008 Corolla s and have the exact same problem. The longer it sits after being driver the harder it is to start, sometimes takes multiple tries.

i have had the throttle body cleaned, maf cleaned, battery replaced and none have helped. The dealer can't figure it out. I'm stumped as well. Also I have no miss firing, codes or lights

On 9/15/2008 at 7:35 AM, fitchsf88 said:

Hello, I am new to the forums -- I own a 2007 Toyota Corolla S. I love the car, everything I could want in a vehicle, nothing I don't. However, I bought the car new May of 2007 (I am the original and only owner), and now have 30,000 miles on the odometer and have a question about how the vehicle starts.

When starting cold, most of the time, it starts right up (starts cold idle at 2000 rpm, than slowly moves down as the engine temp goes up). However, sometimes on a cold start, when I turn the key in the ignition, it will crank, seem like it's stalling (very fast) then rev back up to cold idle -- this whole process is very fast, and hard to describe -- but the vehicle has NEVER stalled. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them, or if this is standard for this model year/motor? (I have taken it to my dealer several times to have it looked at, and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it)

Also, when the motor is warmed up (fully warmed up=driving around town for more than 10 miles, or 10 minutes until temp is at normal operating temperature) and then shut down, starting the engine back up seems to yield a long cranking process before the engine finally turns over. Example: I leave the house to drive to the supermarket. By the time I get to the supermarket, the engine is hot and at normal operating temperature. I shut the engine off, and proceed into the grocery store. (Between) five to fifteen minutes later I will return to my vehicle, place the groceries in the trunk, and get into the drivers seat. Upon starting the engine up (which keep in mind, is still warm from my drive to the supermarket) the engine cranks for a while and sometimes starts "rough," meaning that the engine almost seems like it's a chore to start up. This puzzles me, because I would imagine that because the engine is already warm, it should be an easier start than from cold.

Has anybody else noticed this in their Corolla? Again, I have taken the vehicle to the dealer and had them note this several times (the vehicle has been performing this way since I bought it new), and they have never found any problems with my car/engine. Am I just super paranoid? Is this SOP on all Corollas' of the ninth generation? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a 2008 Corolla s and have the exact same problem. The longer it sits after being driver the harder it is to start, sometimes takes multiple tries.

i have had the throttle body cleaned, maf cleaned, battery replaced and none have helped. The dealer can't figure it out. I'm stumped as well. Also I have no miss firing, codes or lights

• 5 years later...

My 09 has done this since about 25k and at 70k it's still doing it but the dealer has not been able to find anything wrong.  It just sounds bad, any ideas?  I've heard but just leaving the key on until the buzzer stops before hitting the started can help but not sure why that would be...