Hypermilling

Dans06Tacoma

Hello everyone!

I've recently read about hypermilling or hypermiler's -- which means one coasts in Neutral (auto or manual) whilst driving say downhill, then re-engage the gearbox, (I have an automatic)...when a flat plain comes up - or a gradual climb or hill. I've had good success thus far - and haven't any gear noise, all smooth transitions.

Here's my question: Since Reverse in my automatic, is right above neutral, what happens if I by mistake, slip it into reverse gear? Obviously one of two things will happen...nothing as there's a safeguard in place dis-allowing the gearbox from engaging into reverse, or the gearbox engages into reverse and I lose the gearbox, as the truck flips and I die! Hope not... :o :!:

Anyone know? Today - in fact, I slipped it into reverse for a moment and nothing happened, (for about 1 second)...

I'm compelled to try this, as I read an article in the newspaper about it, as it really helps conserve fuel. Thanks.

Hello everyone!

I've recently read about hypermilling or hypermiler's -- which means one coasts in Neutral (auto or manual) whilst driving say downhill, then re-engage the gearbox, (I have an automatic)...when a flat plain comes up - or a gradual climb or hill. I've had good success thus far - and haven't any gear noise, all smooth transitions.

Here's my question: Since Reverse in my automatic, is right above neutral, what happens if I by mistake, slip it into reverse gear? Obviously one of two things will happen...nothing as there's a safeguard in place dis-allowing the gearbox from engaging into reverse, or the gearbox engages into reverse and I lose the gearbox, as the truck flips and I die! Hope not... :o :!:

Anyone know? Today - in fact, I slipped it into reverse for a moment and nothing happened, (for about 1 second)...

I'm compelled to try this, as I read an article in the newspaper about it, as it really helps conserve fuel. Thanks.

a new transmission would be needed if you do that again for quite some time. . .

as for hypermiling - increase the air pressure in your tires for a little better fuel mileage.

also slow to a light - then as it turns green - smoothly accelerate.

;)

It's the same basic rules for everything, gas, hybrid, diesel to maximize mileage...common sense, mostly. Here's what Toyota has to say:

http://www.toyota.com/about/our_commitment...ze_mileage.html

Maximize Your Mileage

Here are some quick and easy tips to get the most out of any vehicle:

• Plan ahead-combine several short trips in order to minimize cold engine starts.
  • Accelerate at a moderate pace
  • Monitor highway speed. Fuel economy suffers at about 65 mph and plummets above 70.
  • Regularly check and maintain proper tire pressure.
  • Don't carry unnecessary loads. Excess weight reduces fuel economy.
  • Use the air conditioner and defroster only as needed; both reduce fuel economy.

Hybrid drivers can take these steps to maximize mileage, too:

• Monitor the flow of traffic to plan your moves well ahead. If traffic is slowing, use moderate early braking or coasting instead of hard braking.
  • In slow-and-go traffic, accelerate to the desired speed, then lift off the throttle to maintain that speed under electric power. You may be able to sustain speeds in the 20-40 mph range without engaging the gasoline engine.