Why doesn't GPS work

kerrins

It is extremely disappointing that Toyota will not allow the GPS to work while the vehicle is in motion. Even the phone has limited accessibility. After market GPS systems work while in motion. Other manufacturers work while the vehicle is in motion. I can't imagine that if I'm travelling with my family and want to stop for a soda, that first I have to pull over to the side of the highway, then query the system for the nearest fast food place. Why can't my spouse enter the information while I drive. Since one can reach over and turn the radio volume up and down...or search for radio stations, how is that any different that putting in a GPS location?

How can I turn off the GPS motion sensor?

Toyota engineeers will only allow you to do things that take less than 6 seconds. They believe that any more than that is dangerous...too much time looking away from the road. So, you can only do simple things: speed dials on the phone, pre-programmed quick destinations, basic radio functions, and emergency services.

That being said; there are two ways to use the nav system while driving:

1.) Use voice commands. Hit the voice command button the steering wheel, then hit "help" on the pop-up menu on the screen. You'll go into a screen with lists of commands.

2.) Disconnect the speed sensor. It's hooked into the back of your nav screen. You'll have to pull the screen out, disconnect the sensor, and you'll lose some functionality in the nav like phone speed dials and ASL for the radio. This may only help you for 20 seconds or so though...be forewarned. It will also void your warranty.

If it really bothers you that much and you don't find the voice dial useful, override the system by accessing the service menu from the nav screen.

1)Menu

2)Volume

3)Touch the top left corner of the screen once

4)Touch the bottom left corner of the screen once

5)Touch the top left corner of the screen once

6)Touch the bottom left corner of the screen once

7)On the service menu screen that pops up find the button labeled "override" and push & Hold it until u hear a beep

8)enjoy driving with all the functionalities of your nav.

:) ah the perks of working at a lexus dealer

If it really bothers you that much and you don't find the voice dial useful, override the system by accessing the service menu from the nav screen.

1)Menu

2)Volume

3)Touch the top left corner of the screen once

4)Touch the bottom left corner of the screen once

5)Touch the top left corner of the screen once

6)Touch the bottom left corner of the screen once

7)On the service menu screen that pops up find the button labeled "override" and push & Hold it until u hear a beep

8)enjoy driving with all the functionalities of your nav.

:) ah the perks of working at a lexus dealer

Unfortunately, that no longer works...it was hidden in 2007 and could be fixed with some minor DVD burning, and I still can't get it to work in 2008. At least not on a 2008 GS350.

Assuming I want to disconnect the speed sensor, you mentioned that it would void my warranty. Is that the warranty on the whole car or just the warranty on the GPS system? I also don't understand why this would only be useful for 20 seconds, could you clarify?

My parents also own a Lexus, and if there is a new override available for Toyota or Lexus does anyone know it?

Assuming I want to disconnect the speed sensor, you mentioned that it would void my warranty. Is that the warranty on the whole car or just the warranty on the GPS system? I also don't understand why this would only be useful for 20 seconds, could you clarify?

My parents also own a Lexus, and if there is a new override available for Toyota or Lexus does anyone know it?

If you disconnect the speed sensor, you have to cut wires. You'll void your warranty on electronics.

It's possibly only useful for 20 seconds or so each time you try to use it because the system has a back-up speed sensor through the global positioning. It'll grey-out after after a short time period. There's no new overide, but there's a kit that does basically the same thing by disconnecting the speed sensor...not a Lexus part, someone else.

• 4 months later...

It seems like a lot of people are looking at this post and I assume getting frustrated because there is no way to turn off the lockout while driving. I think it might be a good idea for everyone to comment on whether they would like to see Toyota turn off the lockout. I guess one might call it a petition, but I think it would be good for Toyota to understand that we appreciate their concern by attempting to put in a saftey measure, but what we really want is to have the lockout removed.