Trouble filling gas tank 04 Corolla

dapqam

Does anyone have any experience with a problem I am having with my daughter's 04 Corolla. When we go to fill the tank with gas the valve on the filler handle keeps shutting off. We have tried holding the filler pipe out a little further to let the air escape to no avail. Could it be that the vapor canister is plugged up causing poor venting of the vapors? Has anyone had the same problem. Where is the vapor canister and how easy or difficult and expensive is it to replace? Is it the black box located directly behind the gas tank? Help. and Thanks.

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

I heard a discussion of this type of problem on the NPR "Click and Clack" car question show this weekend. They said that it was due to a malfunction in the evaporative emission control system. They recommended taking the car where a scan tool can determine the source of the problem. Is your "check engine" light on? Mine is not but still it is difficult to fill the gas tank. There is some indication that Toyota extended the warranty on some cars due to similar problems. Check: http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=evapo...=&form=QBRE Let me know what you come up with. I'm thinking of replacing the canister. Not sure how much it costs though. I just know that it costs about $75 just for the dealer to look at it.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a 2002 Corolla that once I had an oil change and the fuel system cleaned, I too, experience problems with filling my gas tank. I've been told that I don't know how to pump my gas correctly or that it'll be okay after 3-4 fillups. Not so! The place that did the oil change is not willing to do anything cause they can't imagine what the problem is!

I will be following up on a possible CLOGGED or DISCONNECTED FUEL TANK VENT as I continue my research. Perhaps this will help someone else. As many problems as I've had and as many folks that just don't know what to tell me other than 'some pumps are like that' for 6 months now, I'm just happy that I found this forum and to see that I am not alone.

I will be back on here to let you know of any progress. Good luck to all with this same problem!

Thank you for the reply. I doubt that the oil change caused the problem. I have heard that overfilling the gas tank can cause the charcoal vapor canister to get plugged up. It is a $300 part! There is a technical service bulletin on the problem. The number is EG051-06. It is an attachment .pdf file. I would like to know if anyone has Toyota fix this for free after 36000 mile warranty is expired? I think this is a systemic problem that they should fix for us. I think this is a design defect.

Technical_Service_Bulletin_T_EG051_06.pdf

• 3 years later...

I have a 2003 corolla which I bought new, it has developed the fuel filling problem (clicking off ) just in the last 3 months, the car has been great other than the fuel problem

I do not want to go to the dealer, as you know they charge like wounded lions,